This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Since I’ll be studying abroad next semester to going home for winter break, traveling can be a hassle, especially at the airport. Here are a few travel tips to make traveling to your next destination a hassle-free one.Photo courtesy of pexels.com

Packing:

Photo courtesy of unsplash.com

1. Roll your clothes and pack them in vacuum space saver bags

Probably the most notable packing trick is rolling your clothes to save space. To take it to another level, invest in some vacuum space saver bags. This sucks out the air and flattens your clothes to save more space.     

2. Place saran wrap on top of liquid containers before screwing the cap off.

When traveling, liquids from a container can spill. Saran wrap will help you avoid any messes in case any of your liquids leak mid-flight.  

3. Store liquids in a plastic bags

If the liquid does spill out of the bottle, place containers with liquid in waterproof/plastic baggies like Ziploc’s to contain the spillage.

4. Charging Station

Sometimes finding enough outlets for everyone in hotels is impossible. To ensure everyone gets charged up, pack an extension cord.

At the Airport:

Photo courtesy of unsplash.com

1. Prepare ahead for TSA                

If you have a laptop, begin taking it out before you reach the front of the line and make sure you empty out your pockets. You’ll get through security much faster.  

2. Water

The markup for water is insane at airports. To avoid paying, bring an empty reusable bottle and fill it up at a water station.  Just make sure the water bottle is actually empty so you don’t have to surrender your water bottle at the security checkpoint. 

On the Plane: 

Photo courtesy of unsplash.com

1. In Flight Essential Bag

My personal favorite hack. Pack a small bag, like a makeup bag, with all the things that you might need within arms reach for the flight. Pack things like tissues, Chapstick, earphones, or snacks. During the flight, store the bag in the seat pocket in front of you. This eliminates having to reach for your bag in the overhead cabinet every time you need to get something.

2. Download Netflix Shows    

On a plane without tv services? If you have a Netflix account, you can download shows to watch without wi-fi. The available shows range from Stranger Things to The Blacklist and more.

3. Hands-Free Moving Watching

It is impossible to find a way to hold your phone and watch a movie at the same time. Your hands get tired and you’re constantly trying to find a comfortable position. To avoid this, place your phone in a Ziploc bag. Open up the tray in front of you, place the top of the Ziploc on the tray and close the tray. The Ziploc bag with your phone will hang in front of you. No more struggling to prop up your phone.

Now, go forth and have a stress-free experience the next time you travel!

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!