Blocked Border?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Blocked Border?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
TikTok / Canva
Culture > Digital

The Reinvention of Basic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

They say trends come and go, and we have definitely been seeing that in these past couple of years with the rejuvenation of fashion trends from the seventies, nineties, and even the Y2k era. We all know the cycle, a certain aesthetic will be really in for a couple of years, or even a decade, and then we’ll be on to something new, only to eventually circle back to it in later decades. One trend that I have found particularly interesting has been the “basic girl” trend because it seems to have been recycled much quicker in recent years than some other trends. 

“[The Basic Aesthetic] was hard to achieve for many of us”

In middle school/high school, although this may differ for us depending on our exact ages, the “basic” aesthetic was wildly popular. I remember the pressure to have neutral, Lululemon outfits, especially because I did dance in those years. Bright colors were not popular, and the essential components of a basic girl outfit were jeans, black Lululemon leggings, sweatpants, hoodies, and crop tops from Brandy Melville all in neutral colors. A few years later, although many girls were still dressing “basic”, there were other girls who pushed back against this trend, which is when we started to see many of the seventies brightly colored prints and Y2k looks with baggy jeans. I think the “basic” aesthetic was looked down on for a while because it became so popular that it did seem quite basic, especially when every girl was wearing the same white crop top from Brandy Melville and black Lululemon leggings with white Air Force 1s. Besides seeming overdone, this look received backlash because, to be honest, it was hard to achieve for many of us. To be able to shop at Brandy Melville, Lululemon, and Nike, you had to be able to afford it, which was not possible for many people. For me, I used to beg my parents for a single pair of Lululemon leggings just so I would not be the only one in my dance class without them, and they did finally cave for my birthday after a few years. But for many families, that was simply not going to happen. Aside from the cost, these stores were not known for their size inclusivity. Even I, a size small-medium, struggled to fit my well-developed chest into those Brandy Melville tank tops in middle school. Shopping at some of these stores was a nightmare for so many girls because of the price point as well as sizing. 

“I hope it is here to stay”

Recently, the “That Girl” aesthetic has gained popularity on Tiktok- an aesthetic that emphasizes light, neutral colors, gold jewelry, clean-looking nails, skin, and hair, and expensive-looking athleisure. I personally love this aesthetic, but there are clear parallels between the 2022 “That Girl” and the early 2010s “Basic Girl”. I do not think this is a bad thing, and I personally love this aesthetic. I just think it is interesting that the neutral trend came and went only to be back again in such a short amount of time. Despite the obvious similarities between the two, such as the resurgence of Lululemon and neutral colors, I think things are different this time around. Many of the aforementioned barriers from before have been eased because it is much easier and more accepted to find cheaper dupes of certain items on Amazon, and more brands are carrying a wider variety of sizes. In addition, there is a huge conversation on TikTok surrounding how to be “That Girl” on a budget, something that was missing the first time around. It seems that many girls are still gravitating towards this trend because they like the calming effect of neutrals and how comforting matching lounge and workout sets can be, but they are leaving the toxicity of the trend back in 2014. Another new aspect is that many people pair the aesthetic with discussions about mental health, which was not talked about before, and many girls associate being “That Girl” with taking care of themselves and promoting healthy and productive behaviors. I personally am loving my “That Girl” life with my Lululemon, beige loungewear, and gold jewelry and it helps me feel much more calm and productive. I know that many other girls love it as well and I hope it is here to stay! 

Anna Henson

Cal Lutheran '23

Hi! My name is Anna Henson and I am a junior history pedagogy major at California Lutheran University. I love all types of writing including research for my major and fun opinion articles! I am pursuing a teaching credential to help students develop their writing and thinking skills to express themselves clearly and creatively. I also love iced coffee, Tiktok, and the color pink!