This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

“I love you.” It is a phrase we say to each other every time I walk out the door or we end a phone call. Being with a person for four years saying I love you becomes part of your normal day activities. I think as time passes the impact these I love you’s have become more of a routine then a feeling. Since I am stubborn and grew up in not the most feeling home most I love yous are followed by eye rolls or a good sarcastic comment. I just wanted to say I am thankful for every single one of your I love yous.

After we spend an hour and a half figuring out what to eat and then “mutually” deciding on The Cheesecake Factory. Driving halfway there as I decided that I still do not know where to eat and turn the car around. Ultimately deciding to go to the Habit that was conveniently located down the street just because I wanted a chocolate shake. Thank you for the I love you as we sat in the booth as I sucked down the chocolatey goodness before our food even arrived. Thank you for loving my indecisiveness.

Photo Courtesy of Stocksnap

After we go to Starbucks and climb into your white truck, I take a sip of my mango tea and realized they gave me the wrong ddrink. Then the emotional stressors of my life kick in and I start to cry. Knowing I’m not the type of person to complain you go back to Starbucks and get me a new drink. When I finally take a sip and it’s the wrong drink again. Thank you for the I love you after I threw the contents of the drink out of your truck splashing mango juice against the white paint. Thank you for loving me in my times of emotional distress that I call passion.

After I hear the raindrops hitting your window and insist we have to go outside. When you watch me run in the streets with my pajamas on demanding we do something because when it rains you have to be outside, even though you rather be inside watching Netflix. The rain falls down and you still get in my car because you don’t want me driving around in the rain alone. Thank you for loving me when I have my rainy day ideas.

After I lose my car keys for the one millionth time. When you help me search high and low for what seems like hours. When were going to be late to school because again I have misplaced my keys. When you tell me I need to put a lanyard on my keys because I do this once a day. Then when I have finally given defeat I find my keys tucked in one of the multiple pockets on my purse.You still look at me shaking your head and say I love you. Thank you for the loving me even during my forgetfulness.

I am thankful for you and the I love yous that you give me. They are just simple reminders that I have a person by my side who loves me at my emotionally worst. Sometimes the I love yous go unnoticed. I think we should all remind the people who give us their I love yous that you heard them and that the love is mutual.

Tyla Vellos

Cal Lutheran '23

I am a junior at Cal Lutheran University, majoring in history pedagogy. I love talking to people and Netflix. I am excited to see where this year takes me.