This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Even with so much uncertainty this year, I am constantly reminded of the things that have stayed the same. Being present this year has been extremely hard for all of us, but this Thanksgiving let us give thanks to the things that have remained constant in our lives. I will be exploring the things that have brought me joy this year and never fail to put a smile on my face. 

1. My Friends and Family

During quarantine I have become a huge introvert, which was never like me at all prior to COVID-19. It is so easy to go days on end without FaceTime or calling those close to me, but once we talk I am reminded of how lucky I am to have people who care for me. I have learned that in this world we don’t necessarily need anyone so we should cherish those who choose us to be in their lives. I have learned to hold onto friendships that are intentional and help both of us grow. Apart from friends, I have been learning to enjoy the small things with my parents while I am at home. I like to go on long car rides with my mom that are filled with laughter and shouting our favorite songs. Walks with my dad are timeless and we both enjoy taking in nature’s beauty together. This Thanksgiving I challenge you to list your favorite activities to do with friends and family!

Helium balloons that spell \'love\' in cursive
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

2. My Comfort Movies

Twilight and Little Women (2019). That is it. That’s the tweet.

Just kidding! These movies never fail to make me feel comfy and cozy when I have stressful days and happy days! I enjoy watching these movies because I know how the movie ends (I like to spoil movies for myself all the time) and I love the cinematography and the soundtracks. I also love to listen to the soundtracks when I drive by myself. Both of them are really fitting for fall/winter time so I highly recommend you give them a listen! 

The Twilight Saga Edward and Bella
Summit Entertainment

3. Travel Tiktok and Pinterest Boards 

Even though I am working on staying present, I still find joy in looking at travel destinations and house designs. Looking at Pinterest and TikToks of people traveling gives me hope that one day I will be able to travel myself with people I love. Even though these are things that can’t happen within the next year, I hope that someday that will change! For now, I will keep my Pinterest boards and indulge in travel TikToks. 

Amalfi Coast
Photo by Anemone123 from Pixabay

4. Myself

This year I have learned to enjoy spending time by myself and during this time I have learned so many new things that I enjoy! I have found new interests, artists, and developed my own persona. I believe that since I did not spend a lot of time by myself prior to covid, I clinged on to interests that were popular, socially acceptable, and made me seem “cool.” For so long, I wanted people to look at my interests and think I was “original” instead of just embracing who I am. I have learned to be unapologetically me and take care of my well being.

love yourself written on a sidewalk
Photo by Michelle Bonkosky from Unsplash

I hope you all have a safe and memorable Thanksgiving! Remember to tell the people you care about that you love them!

Elysia Williams

Cal Lutheran '22

HI! My name is Elysia but you can call me Sia for short. I am a leader of Delight Ministries at Cal Lutheran and a writer for Her Campus. In my free time, I am usually with my friends or family making memories.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!