This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

While the month of October is normally associated with pumpkin spice everything, spiders, tombstones, and the time when Halloween candies finally go on sale, the month of October is also the official month for Bullying Prevention.

Photo courtesy of Photopin.com

Almost everyone has faced bullying at one point in their life. For me, my first encounter with bullying was in preschool. While most kids look back on preschool with fond memories of napping and playing, I remember something much more sinister. For me, preschool was hell. I remember vividly crying each day, begging my mom not to leave home. My experience with preschool was filled with violent memories of one girl in particular. I vividly remember this girl pinching me constantly–when I sat in the chair she wanted, for playing with a toy, and when I was by myself, doing nothing at all. The playground was a battlefield. Despite my efforts to hide behind the play structures, seeking protection, I knew she would attack me again. I hated it and hated not knowing how to confront her. Not one to fight back, I tried to run away, push her hand away, or ask her to stop, but it only resulted in her pinching me harder. Resigned and exhausted, I accepted my fate and endured the pain. 

Maybe it had to do with the fact that I was in preschool, but during this time, I didn’t realize what bullying was, or that these incidents were prime examples of it. Nobody asked if I was okay or stood up for me, so I automatically assumed that it was normal to get picked on, and had resigned myself to this fate. My response is not a unique one– too many times we frequently fail to realize that we are being bullied, or bullying others. I think part of me didn’t want to believe that people had the mindset to constantly put others down. However, whether we like it or not, bullying does exist. It is not something made up or a trend that will pass and it is an issue that needs to be addressed.  

We’ve all been there–from name calling to more physical altercations, we were the ones on the receiving end or hastily spitting vicious words out. In most cases, we were both.Photo courtesy of Photopin.com

To all the bullies, Louis C.K. said it best, “When a person tells you that you hurt them, you don’t get to decide that you didn’t.” One thing is for certain: our actions affect people. What we don’t know is how it will impact them. We have to be cautious of what we say and take into consideration other people’s feelings. If you’re not sure, remember what your elementary school teacher said: treat others the way you want to be treated.

To the bystanders, speak up! One simple action can drastically change a person’s life. By intervening with the bully or asking if the victim is okay, you are conveying a message of strength and hope to the victim.  Let them know that they are not alone.

To the victims, as much as it hurts, their actions do not have to ruin your life. Believe in yourself and your truth–only you know you the best. You know that those rumors are not true. You know what your self-worth is. Do not let anyone else tell you how valuable you are. Overcome the hate and rise above the people who doubt you.

Unfortunately, bullying has become a norm. Whether people bully others to make themselves feel better or to hurt the other person, it is not necessary. Our lives will only ever revolve around hate being a source of power until one discovers the power of love and kindness. It only takes one person to be step up and spread the love. Be that person.Photo courtesy of unsplash.com

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!