So You’re Not a Morning Person…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

When you’re not a morning person, it makes it really hard to do life.

Let’s be real: the only way you could ever be one was if morning started at like, noon.

And the thought of waking up before your alarm goes off is disturbing on a whole new level.

But despite what those early birds say, there are perks to not “catching the worm”. Whether it’s mastering the 10 minute morning routine and looking absolutely FABULOUS or just rolling out of bed and heading to class, you’ve got this morning thing down to a science and are ready to conquer the world… after sleeping through all your alarms. Or maybe after 12 p.m.  Whichever comes first.

It’s time you embrace your affinity for sleep. Here are the reasons why you should:

You can’t fight genetics.

Your sleep preferences are almost entirely predetermined based on your genetic makeup. Chances are that if you have a deep love for those extra “Zzzz’s” in the morning, you have an ancestor that was genetically wired the same way. This means that there is little to no point in forcing yourself to become a morning person if you aren’t already. So go ahead and hit that Snooze button a few more times in the name of “beauty sleep”! There are some big perks that come with it.

You can get ready in less than 15 minutes.

Sleeping through all of your alarms means that you only have a limited time in the morning to get ready for the day ahead. But it also means that you’ve perfected the art of the “10 minute Morning Routine” and can look as put together as someone who has spent an hour getting ready. If that’s not a superpower, I don’t know what is.

You know a good cup of coffee when you taste it.

The world can’t handle all of you until you have that first cup of coffee. So, you’ve become best friends with the barista at Starbucks and know your order almost better than you know yourself. That, or you know how to make a mean brew from home. Either way, you know a quality cup of coffee when you taste it and anything less than that is not worth your drinking efforts. Plain and simple.

You become more social as the day goes on.

The struggle to be social in the morning could not be more real for those who aren’t morning people. Sure, it’s hard to put on a happy face and (willingly) talk to someone before 10 a.m. without feeling like a little part of you is dying inside. We’ve all been there. But the fact of the matter is that you get more social and pleasant as the day goes on, which is a perk considering that most people do NOT. Being the person that makes others happy when they just aren’t feeling it is probably one of the best feelings in the world, and the opportunity to make someone smile should not be passed up. In all, you’re fun to be around and can make others smile!

You are more refreshed and productive compared to everyone else.

When you wake up at the will of your internal clock, you naturally feel more alert, awake, and presentable. That means no puffy eyes, no dark circles, and brighter eyes when you get out of bed. You are naturally more productive and focused because you woke up when you wanted to. Getting dressed and putting makeup on is no longer a chore, and the idea of doing something “nice” with your hair looks more and more appealing as the getting-ready process goes on. But sometimes you can’t be bothered with those things because you are just so excited to do things during the day without feeling like you have an actual physical sleeping affliction! Or it’s the motivation of thinking about and looking forward to crawling back into bed at the end of the day. There are two types of people.

So whether you prefer to wake up before the rest of the world or are in favor of an extra hour, your sleep habits do not define who you are. You are unique, and all the “early bird vs. night owl” classifications do not even begin to describe who you are as a person. Although this world seems to revolve around those who do not need a daytime nap like you do, you are just as much a part of the world as they are. So go ahead and hit the Snooze button one more time. It’s okay.

o s

Bowdoin '17

*
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!