Smart, Supportive, and Spirited: Jamell Dorton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.
Jamell Dorton does it all! From being a mathematics major, to his outstanding leadership exhibited at Cal Lutheran, he radiates kindness and acceptance to all. You can find him on The Spine, raising awareness for an important cause, or catch him in the dance room, executing an intricate hip-hop routine. On top of all of that, he’s an incredible Resident Advisor! Jamell makes a wonderful impact at Cal Lutheran, and I’m sure he will carry that with him when he graduates this spring! 

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: What is your major and what do you plan to do with it in the future?
Jamell Dorton: I major in Mathematics (B.S.) with hopes of landing a career in financial services in the future. 

HC: Out of all the activities you’ve been involved in at CLU, which one has been your favorite?
JD: I love being involved as a Resident Advisor on campus. It gives me the opportunity to meet so many people that I might never come across if I wasn’t an RA. It also allows for me to help students throughout their college years regarding academic, career, and personal concerns. If I’m able to have some sort of an impact on a student’s life, it makes me feel great about myself.

HC: If there’s one piece of advice you could tell an incoming freshman at CLU, what would you say?
JD: Be open to anything. Cal Lutheran has a ton to offer you. You just have to be willing to learn about new things that come your way. That’s how you make Cal Lutheran your home away from home.

HC: What are you going to miss most about CLU when you graduate?
JD: I’ve made a lot of connections since I’ve been here. There are many people who have impacted my life in more ways than they’ll ever know. I’ll miss seeing them almost every day. 

HC: I know you enjoy performing hip hop and tutting! What attracts you most to this style of dance? How did you get involved in it at the beginning?
JD: I’ve always wanted to get involved in dance since my early teen years. In high school, I joined a step team. And I gained confidence in my ability to pick up routines, despite my height and size. Also, I’m a huge a fan of America’s Best Dance Crew. I was attracted to the various elements of hip hop portrayed throughout the seasons, so I’ve always wanted to learn about hip hop. Hip hop gives me the opportunity to properly express myself in a way that words can’t. People don’t expect someone like me to come out with hard-hitting movement. So I always have that element of surprise.

HC: Who or what inspires you?
JD: My mom is my hero. She is the one that has supported me through every aspect of my life and shaped me to become the man I am today. I’m forever grateful for her love.

HC: If you could do anything in the world, what would it be? 
JD: If I could do anything in the world, at this moment, I would compete on the show Big Brother. Basically, it’s a competitive social experiment and I feel like I would thrive on a show like that. Plus a $500K check sounds good to me!
Andrea Lopez

Cal Lutheran

Andrea is a sophomore at California Lutheran University. She's currently trying out many different career paths, driven by her creative passions to help people. She's a dreamer who has the discipline to turn these dreams into her reality. The moment she starts thinking rationally is the moment she has lost all hope. Andrea believes in being irrational, and taking risks. She cares to travel the world in the hope to be exposed to as many viewpoints as possible. Andrea wants to help people live the lives they desire. She believes in the insane kind of love, the one that drives you crazy. She believes deeply in Jay Gatsby and Peter Parker. Andrea is an artist at heart and a scientist by nature. She wants it all. She wants to make an impact.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!