Simply Regal: Stockings 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I want to write about a risqué topic: stockings—thigh highs—garter belts. This may seem like a topic better reserved for an article on sex, but I am writing about these items because stockings are a key part of a vintage look involving a skirt. Watch an old movie, and you will see them. Marilyn Monroe’s character, Sugar Kane, comments “Are my seams straight?” in Some Like it Hot and Grace Kelly’s seams are obvious despite her long gown in the film High Society. These were such an important item to a woman that during the nylon shortage of World War II, women would have lines drawn or tattooed up their legs so that they would not be seen as improperly dressed—stockings were that big of a deal.

I have tried my fair share of stockings—Victoria’s Secret, Unique Vintage, and American Apparel. American Apparel ones are my favorite one’s hands down! They are the most amazing in quality and options. The only downside is the price; the stockings range from $18 to $25 in price. I usually buy them when they go on sale, for $10 a pair. They are still expensive, but they are so worth it! The do not get runs easily, the options are endless, and they have different sizes, which is very important.

I like stockings because I look the look of seams on my legs, but seams are so much easier to get straight if I can focus on one leg at a time. You cannot do that with tights and. It. Is. Frustrating.

I think there are three basic styles that every vintage gal should have: sheer black with a black seem, nude fishnets, and sheer nude with a black seem. These styles are all very sexy, vintage, and versatile. I also have a sheer pink pair with a pink seam that I really like because it is feminine; as much as I like them, they are not a necessary pair.

Please ignore the unflattering pictures of my legs. And please excuse the fact that the seam is not straight in some of the photos. 

There two styles that can be purchased in thigh high stockings: hold-ups and plain ones. Hold-ups have a layer of silicon around the band so that they stay up without a garter belt. Honestly, they don’t stay up—you need the garter belt. I also think that the silicon is uncomfortable. That being said, I buy them if a style is only available as a hold up. But like I said, I still use garters with it.

I now have some thoughts on garters. Simply put, I love them! They make me feel sexy and like a true 1950’s gal. I like to have a mix of belts, girdles, slips, merry widows, and panties (yes, I know that’s a gross word). This just provides me with versatility because certain dresses need certain undergarments underneath them. My one big tip (stolen from Dita Von Teese) is to wear your underwear over your garter belt. This way, you can go to the bathroom without messing with your perfectly straight seams; it’s just practical. As Dita said, it’s also really sexy.

One last thing: storing stockings. I store my stockings in the original pouch they come in. This is just the safest place for them. If one stocking of the pair can no longer be worn, I toss it and keep the other half so that I can have a back-up stocking as I continually buy the same type of American Apparel stockings. There’s no reason to throw out a perfectly good stocking.

Those are all my thoughts on stockings! They are a great way to add vintage flair and make a person feel special—there’s a reason Dr. Frank-n-furter wears them The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Enjoy feeling special in your stockings!

Thanks for reading!

Image is from: http://www.chasingframes.fr/les-pin-up-de-gil-elvgren/

Quotes from: http://imoviequotes.com/10-best-pictures-of-some-like-it-hot-quotessome-…

Hi! Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am sophomore Sociology/English major at Cal Lutheran University. This is my first year writing for Her Campus and I am very proud and excited to have joined the team. I aim to provide general lifestyle tips and ideas for my blog, as a means of making a campus dorm more homey. Thank you for reading!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!