Style > Beauty

Simply Regal: How to Maximize Your Beauty Sleep!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Here, I provide you with 5 tips to make the most of your hair while you sleep! Your hair will be healthier and your mornings will go faster!  It’s a great way to get those extra few minutes of sleep in the morning!

1.     Apply dry shampoo the night before. The idea behind this is to apply your dry shampoo to greasy hair the night before. Leave the product on and do not try to blend it! Leaving the product in over night will allow the hair to fully soak the dry shampoo and be “cleaner” in the morning. Of course, this isn’t an alternate for washing your hair, but it’s great for the nights you know you don’t have time to wash your hair. 

2.     Pin your curls. This tip is great for the days that you have curled your hair. Creating pin curls out of each curl helps the curl last longer which will keep you from heat styling your hair the next morning. Avoiding heat is always a good thing! I wet my hands and patted each pin curl so as to reactivate the curl with some water. I should warn you though, my curls fell rather quickly the next day, but I still had smooth hair that didn’t look frizzy or have a weird looking shape. 

3.     Apply a hair mask. If you know you’ll be washing your hair in the morning, treat your hair and scalp to a mask! Sleeping with a mask in your hair will allow for max results. I applied castor oil, which encourages hair growth, to my scalp, and coconut oil to my ends, to moisturize them. I also applied some coconut oil to my scalp, for mostuire, over the castor oil. You can also apply a heavy conditioner, a store bought mask, or check out some of the more creative homemade hair masks available on Pinterest. I then slept with a shower cap on, so as to keep my pillow clean and to create heat. Heat will allow the mask to better penetrate. The next morning, I washed my hair with clarifying shampoo and skipped conditioner. 

4.     Braid it to save it. No matter what you will be doing to your hair the next day, braid your hair! Do not sleep with it down! Sleeping with your hair in a braid prevents breakage and tangles. This is one of the easiest tips! I did a Dutch braid, but you can do any sort of braid you like. I recommend a French braid of some sort for those of you who have layers. 

5.     Use a silk pillowcase or scarf. I know this might sound like an expensive tip, but a scarf or pillow made out of some sort of silky material really helps keep the hair from frizzing up. I know Walmart sells “silk” headscarves in the ethnic hair care aisle. I use a rayon one that was my mother’s in the 80’s. Some sort of hair protection is great. I usually use it over my pin curls.

I hope you guys enjoy these tips and that they all work for you!

Thanks for reading, AP 

Hi! Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am sophomore Sociology/English major at Cal Lutheran University. This is my first year writing for Her Campus and I am very proud and excited to have joined the team. I aim to provide general lifestyle tips and ideas for my blog, as a means of making a campus dorm more homey. Thank you for reading!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!