Sarah Eglitis: Inspiring One Student at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Name: Sarah Eglitis

Year: 2006

Major: English

From: Lodi, California

Fun Facts: I eat ice cream every day. I’m a Harry Potter fanatic. My grandmother has told me since I was little that I have an “old soul.”Her Campus Cal Lutheran: How long have you been teaching for?

Sarah Eglitis: This is my ninth year teaching and I’m looking forward to many more. 

HCCLU: Was this school your first choice? Why did you decide to attend CLU?

SE: CLU was not my first choice, but that’s mostly because I didn’t really have a first choice or a school I had my heart set on. I knew I wanted to go to college and I had good grades, but I wasn’t competitive enough to get into any high-profile schools. I figured I would have to start out at community college anyway, because I didn’t have any financial aid. I ended up choosing CLU because they gave me an amazing scholarship and the opportunity to live at home while still going straight to a four-year university. 

HCCLU: What is your favorite thing about CLU?

SE: My favorite thing about CLU as a student was the small class sizes. I loved that we got to know our professors and that someone noticed if we weren’t in class. I loved that we had opportunities to collaborate with our peers and that our professors were approachable. My second favorite thing about CLU is the absolutely beautiful campus. It’s small, but Kingsman Park is one of my favorite places. 

HCCLU: What were you involved in as a student?

SE: To be honest, I was not involved in much of campus life beyond my classes and the friends I made. One of the reasons I wasn’t a competitive potential student for universities is that I was never involved in much in high school either. Good grades didn’t come to me easily. I was the type of student who had to put in hours and hours of studying, reading, and rereading to get the good grades that I earned. Between that and always having a job, there wasn’t much time for things like clubs and organizations.

HCCLU: Was being a teacher always your dream? What inspired you to become a teacher?

SE: Yes, for as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a teacher. I remember it was my third grade teacher who first told me I would be an amazing teacher someday, and I thought, “You know, I think she’s right!” She gave me a lot of opportunities to help her in the classroom and encouraged me to take leadership roles. It was the first time I remember feeling like I was really good at something. With my aunt, my parents, and other teachers who encouraged me along the way, there was never really any question after that. 

HCCLU: What have you learned about yourself since being a teacher?

SE: Being a teacher, I am put under a microscope every single day. I have 170 people who come to stare at me every day and they are not shy about telling me what they see. Thanks to my students, I have learned that I am an awful speller and that I have no sense of fashion. For myself, though, I have learned that life is good and that there is no greater job than being a teacher. HCCLU: Did you imagine your life to be going the way it is now when you were an undergrad?

SE: Yes and no. When I started college, I started as a Liberal Studies major and I thought I would be an elementary school teacher. That’s what I had always wanted. However, once it came time to take some of the math and science classes required for that major I started to reconsider. At the time, because of the incredible professors in the English department at CLU, like Dr. Stevenson and Dr. Schwartz, I was quickly realizing I had a real passion for literature and writing. That’s when I made the switch to an English major and changed my career path to high school teaching. 

HCCLU: Who is your biggest role model and why?

SE: I have had various role models at different stages of my life. From my loving parents to talented colleagues, I’ve been blessed to be surrounded by inspirational people most of my life. The one person who remained my constant role model, though, from the time I was very young and up to the present is my Aunt Jamie. When I was young, she was a preschool teacher and director. Later, she transitioned into teaching college. Today, she serves a director of early childhood education at the county level. As a person, she is kind, wise, and generous. As a professional, she is determined and no-nonsense. At the heart of all that she does is the conviction that all children deserve to be loved, nurtured, and educated. I’ve always wanted to be just like her, and that hasn’t changed.

HCCLU: Do you consider yourself a role model to your students?

SE: Yes, I think every year I have students who look up to me. And regardless of whether my students consider me a role model or not, I know that they are watching me and listening. That’s a major responsibility and I don’t take it lightly. There are a lot of things I hope my students learn from me, but above all I hope they learn that they are loved. 

HCCLU: Any advice you’d like to give to your students?

SE: I am constantly giving my students advice, whether they ask for it or not. I tell them to read everything twice. I tell them to question everything they read. I tell them that dating in high school is a waste of time. That one they definitely don’t take my advice on!

Leslie Madrigal

Cal Lutheran '20

Hello, my name is Leslie Madrigal. I am a senior at Cal Lutheran double-majoring in Criminal Justice and Spanish with a minor in Ethnic Studies! Besides being a part of Her Campus, I am also the Co-President for the Latin American Student Organization, Vice President of My Generation My Fight, and Secretary for the Criminal Justice Student Association. I work on campus at the Office of the President as well as having an off campus job in retail. And I volunteer for the Safe Passage Program through the Criminal Justice Department.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!