Relatively Speaking…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Ahhh the Holiday Season… The fireplace is crackling, Michael Buble Christmas is playing in the background, and you are passive-aggressively talking back to your Aunt Rachel when she asks why you “haven’t found a special person yet”. Good times. Those holiday dinners are what keep the family together, but there are those relatives that just seem to drive you insane and never fail to show up Every. Single. Year.

The Over-Achieving Cousin

Sure you just snagged a prestigious internship at the business of your dreams, but this cousin will make it known that their recent trip to bring purified water to the village people of the Amazon was “life-changing” and so much more interesting than your accomplishment.

The Cranky Great Aunt

From the time she arrives to the time her old-fashioned patent leather loafer steps out the door, your great aunt is complaining about anything and everything. Nothing you do, or anyone else does for that matter, will ever be good enough for her. It’s a wonder why she still gets invited each year, because everyone is a little more insane after she leaves.

The Gossiping Grandmother

She heard from your neighbor Betty that your cousin’s second wife is pregnant, but doesn’t want you to tell anyone because she might just be gaining weight. Either way, your gossiping grandmother will get the entire table talking with family news that may or may not be true. You dare not to call her out on it though, because you don’t want to be the next family scandal.

The Drunken Uncle

Until he passes out on the living room rug, this uncle will guarantee free entertainment for the whole night. Any kind of singing or dancing is sure to keep the spirits lively, unless someone brings up the latest political debate. In that case, you better master your “I’m really interested in this right now” face because it’s gonna be a looong night.

The Critical Aunt

You know she means well, but this aunt never fails to comment on your weight or why you haven’t found “that special someone” yet. You spend the night avoiding making contact with her because your poor ego has had enough. It’s complicated, but you love her anyway.

The Rowdy Nephew

Seriously, who gave this kid a Christmas cookie?! Your sister’s kid is cute, but cannot seem to chill out. Everything (everything) is exciting to your nephew, but you better put your fine china up on the high shelf because he is sure to knock it over while practicing somersaults in the dining room.

The Sleepy Grandfather

The family member you relate to most, your sleepy grandfather has got the right idea: sleep through everything and you escape the chaos of having extended family over for dinner. He always wants a nap, and who would blame him? Family dinners are tiring, to say the least. But, he is always the first one to express how grateful he is to have such a large family, and that’s why you love him.

Happy Holidays everyone, and have a fabulous time with your family this season!

o s

Bowdoin '17

*
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!