This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Starting a new semester can be daunting. New goals, new classes, and new routines. Over the break, you’ve had a while to be in your own routine and have probably got used to not working in a classroom setting. Going back to campus and strict schedules can feel odd for a while and sometimes a bit overwhelming when you hear about the amount of work you need to do during the coming semester. Particularly during syllabus week, it can be almost shocking to hear the number of presentations, exams, and the amount of reading you will be doing. Even as a Junior, sometimes when learning about everything I will do in the semester it can freak me out. But I think this is widely felt among students and it is important to remind yourself that it is possible and it will be broken up over a number of weeks. 

Going into the new year I always have good intentions of reaching my new goals or new year resolutions but somehow never do. If you are like me, then you probably have failed to reach them by this point. However, one thing I have learned at something at college. Going to the syllabus days and learning about the class is like setting up mini-goals that you will reach. Perhaps we can learn from this? When setting goals perhaps we should make a time of when we want to reach them by and include others into them? Much like in a classroom setting.  

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

In this new decade, I refuse to let my goals escape me again for the new semester. I am a firm believer that if you start something in the right way, it will somehow end in the right way. Whether that is your day or week or semester or year. Having a good mindset at the beginning can really help you continue it later and practice having one. Of course, this is slightly superstitious and not predictable that you will have a great day because of it but it can help. 

So, let’s start this semester is a good way!

Write out your goals and display them somewhere you can see them.

Visualize yourself achieving them.

And most importantly… BE STRONG!

This last one is without a doubt the hardest, but remind yourself why you created it and why you should do it. You’ll feel better if you achieve it in the long run and manage to keep up with it! It is never too late to start reaching a goal or to create one. But right now, at the beginning of a new semester in 2020, it seems like a good place to start!

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash 

Rosie Baker

Cal Lutheran '21

Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. I am in my senior year completing a communication major and creative writing minor. Born and raised in England, I am a British girl California living who loves all things Disney, Friends, and beach related.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!