This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

As the Halloween spirit passes by until next year, some people like to shift their focus to the next big holiday, which for some is anticipating Christmas in December even before Thanksgiving (I see you, early birds!). Though I too am also eager to get to Christmas, I like to spend the month of November reflecting on my gratitude for the month, semester, or even the year as a whole as it comes to a close. It can be easy to get wrapped up in schoolwork and studying for exams, so I like to take the time to recognize my small moments of gratitude. Here are just a few ways that I practice gratitude for both the small and big aspects of my life:

Reaching Out

This is a pretty simple one, though highly effective not just for me but for my friends and the family that I keep in touch with. Even a simple reminder of “Hey, I really appreciate you being a close friend of mine” can really change someone’s mood for the day, so if you’re thinking of reaching out to a close friend or family member, my advice is to just go for it. 

Journaling 

Journaling is really beneficial psychologically when it comes to practicing gratitude, as you’re able to reflect on little highlights from your day-to-day life and learn to live in the moment. Sometimes I like to follow a set structure when I journal highlighting three things that I’m glad happened to me that day, while othertimes freewriting is useful to me as well. If you haven’t tried journaling, I highly recommend starting with a five-minute quick write and working your way up to making it a habit.

Practicing Kindness for Others and Yourself!!

What better way to practice gratitude than to give back to others who help me out? I love seeing my friends’ faces when I help them with their needs. It helps deepen our friendship, since I know I can count on them whenever I need help. I also like to practice kindness by giving myself breaks and doing self-care practices when I have some free time. Practicing kindness can be a stepping stone to practicing gratitude, so this is also important to do regularly.

These are just a few suggestions I have for practicing gratitude during this time of year. November is a great time to pause and reflect, especially as the holidays are rolling in. Hopefully you can use some of these to reflect on the good moments in life.

Alex Warrender

Cal Lutheran '23

Hello, my name is Alex, and I'm the Senior Writing and Editing Director for the Cal Lutheran University chapter. I’m a senior Psychology Major who loves to devour books and write poetry in my spare time. I also love to play D&D and go thrifting when I can.