This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I remember the first time I learned about the wonderful Princess Diana. I was in the third grade, assigned to write and present a project on a remarkable person. I remember choosing Princess Diana because I was intrigued by her name, expecting her charisma to reflect what a stereotypical princess was. But to my surprise, Princess Diana was so much more than that. She was nurturing, elegant, courageous, which was everything I always wanted to be. I am writing this article to show appreciation towards Princess Diana and her everlasting impact on this Earth for International Women’s Day. 

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

Princess Diana was born at Park House, a home her parents rented on Queen Elizabeth II’s estate at Sandringham and where Diana spent most of her childhood playing with the Queen’s two younger sons, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. She was the third and youngest daughter of Edward John Spencer, Viscount Althorp, heir to the 7th Earl Spencer, and his first wife, Frances Ruth Burke Roche (daughter of Baron Fermoy). Later on in her adolescent years, Princess Diana reconnected with Prince Charles, heir to the throne, and the couple announced their engagement in July of 1981. It is well known that their marriage, unfortunately, ended for the better, so I will focus on Princess Diana’s achievements throughout her life.

Princess Diana and Prince Charles on their wedding day
Photo by Annie Spratt from Unsplash

“Princess Di” quickly became the world’s greatest sensation when she became a part of the royal family. She transformed from a shy young girl to a graceful, elegant, and poised woman. She was nurturing to everyone she met and treated all people from different social classes, races, and backgrounds with so much respect and love, which was uncommon for the royal family.  However, what many did not know behind the scenes was the reality of what Princess Diana was going through. Being a part of the royal family was stressful and mentally challenging for Princess Diana to say the least. She struggled with depression, bulimia, and low self-esteem. However, after her divorce from Prince Charles, Princess Diana continued to dedicate herself to charity despite her struggles behind the scenes. 

When one nicknames Princess Diana the “People’s Princess,” they simply state nothing but the truth. The Princess continued to support diverse causes like the arts, children’s issues, and charities that helped cure AIDS patients. One remarkable story about Princess Diana that inspired me as a little girl was when the Princess visited an AIDS hospital, instead of keeping her distance from patients, she would hug them, talk with them, and treat them like actual people. She never feared getting sick or hurt by the patients. She had the magic ability to sympathize with those going through pain and taking it as her own. She valued teaching her sons, Prince Harry and Prince William, the importance of connecting with people. The Princess brought them to homeless shelters to volunteer, made them ride public transportation, and would even take them to eat fast food! 

Princess Diana’s compassion, humbleness, and grace inspires me to be a better woman every day. I hope we all can learn something from this incredible icon! Even though she is no longer with us, her impact will remain on this earth forever.

Elysia Williams

Cal Lutheran '22

HI! My name is Elysia but you can call me Sia for short. I am a leader of Delight Ministries at Cal Lutheran and a writer for Her Campus. In my free time, I am usually with my friends or family making memories.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!