photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Thanksgiving is a great time to celebrate friends and family at the dinner and just in each other’s company. However everyone knows that the best part about Thanksgiving is the food; the food is where families are brought together and bellies are left warm and full for the night. I know food is a huge part of my family and not just on Thanksgiving, recipes are passed down generation to generation and family recipes are things taught never to leave the kitchen. Food allows bonds to grow but it’s also where the pounds start to show and everyone knows that the food we make on Thanksgiving definitely helps the food babies to show up a little bit more now and again. But I truly mean that Thanksgiving is where family happens but I also know from experience that Thanksgiving can be a lot of work when it comes to the amount of preparation time and effort that comes into making all that food. However, I have a couple recipes that make are easy for anyone to make whether in a dorm or living comfortably in their own home.

Of course we have to make the best thing of the night first…the dessert. For dessert, we will be making an Autumn classic, Pumpkin Pie. Pumpkin Pie does not have to take excruciating hours making the crust and preparing the filling and dough, instead this simple recipe takes around 3 measly hours in which you can get to making everything else. @Cathy on Allrecipes.com for the recipe

Photo courtesy of Sally’s Baking Addiction

Ingredients for the Pumpkin Pie

• 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust

• 1 packet of unflavored gelatin*

• 1 tsp ground cinnamon

• ½ tsp ground nutmeg

• ½ tsp ground ginger

• ½ tsp salt

• 1 can of sweetened condensed milk

• 2 eggs, beaten

• 1 can of pumpkin puree

• ½ tsp lemon or orange zest

Directions for Baking

1. In a heavy saucepan combine gelatin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Stir in condensed milk and beaten eggs, mixing well. Let stand one minute, then place on burner over low heat, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes, or until gelatin dissolves and mixture thickens. Remove from heat.

2. Stir in pumpkin, mixing thoroughly, and pour mixture into graham cracker crust. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.

3. Enjoy!!!

* use agar agar as an alternative to gelatin and follow with same direction

Another classic favorite at my family’s dinner table is bacon wrapped brussel sprouts. And I know what you’re thinking, how could you serve brussel sprouts at a Thanksgiving dinner, they’re absolutely disgusting. But trust my family members (since I’m a veggie) and wrap some bacon around those sprouts and you’ll be in love within minutes. 

Photo courtesy of Ultimate Paleo Guide

Ingredients for Brussel Sprouts

• 12 strips of bacon

• 12 brussel sprouts

• Maple syrup

• Black pepper and salt, to taste

Directions for Brussel Sprouts

1. Lay out strips of bacon on a clean cutting board or other clean flat surface. And lightly brush each strip of bacon with maple syrup making sure to coat the entire surface of the meat.

2. Lightly sprinkle with black pepper. Then take a brussels sprout and starting from the bottom, roll up each piece of bacon so that it evenly wraps the vegetable. Stick a toothpick through the bacon brussel sprout so it holds

3. Lightly brush the tops of each wrapped brussels sprout with more maple syrup and sprinkle on additional pepper. Transfer the pieces to a baking sheet making sure to place each piece of rolled-up bacon with the seam side down.

4. Bake at 350˚F (180˚C) for 20-25 minutes or until bacon is done and thoroughly cooked.

5. Remove from baking tray and place on paper towels to remove excess bacon fat. And Enjoy!

Now to make the star dish of the Thanksgiving dinner table, the turkey, of course! This turkey recipe is a two in a one with a turkey pot pie and buttermilk biscuits. You can eat both of them together or separate them and eat it separate, but with this two-in-one, it’s all up to you.  @Tasty for recipe

Photo courtesy of My Fitness Pal

Ingredients for Turkey and Biscuits

• 12 tbsp butter

• 2 ¼ cups flour, divided

• 1 ½ cups chicken stock

• Salt and black pepper, to taste

• 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped

• 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables

• 2 cups turkey breast, cooked and shredded

• 1 ½ tsp baking soda

• ¾ cup buttermilk

• ¼ cup heavy cream

Directions for Turkey and Biscuits

1. Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).

2. In a 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the ¼ cup (30 g) of flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth.

3. Add the chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the stock has reduced and thickened.

4. Add in the rosemary, frozen vegetables, turkey, and additional salt, and stir until fully mixed. Remove from the heat.

5. Add remaining flour, baking soda, 8 tablespoons of butter, and pinch of salt to a bowl. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix together until the butter is the size of peas.

6. Add the buttermilk and mix until the dough barely comes together, about 1 minute.

7. Place the dough on a floured countertop and gently form into a 1½-inch (4 cm) thick layer.

8. Use a 3-inch (6 cm) round cutter to cut 10-12 biscuits, re-rolling the dough as needed

9. Place the biscuits on the turkey in the cast iron skillet. Brush the top of the biscuits with heavy cream (optional). Bake for 20-25 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown.

10. Serve immediately and enjoy!!!

Now finally last but certainly not least is my favorite recipe, mulled apple cider. Hot apple cider is one of my favorite drinks next to hot cocoa around Thanksgiving and the Holidays to drink because it makes your tummy warm with adding just a teensy bit of a kick. Sure mulled apple cider is one way to rack up the calories around the holiday time but we can always have a couple months of cheat days to spice up the weeks. @Christine Gallary for recipe

Photo courtesy of Cooks with Cocktails

Ingredients for Mulled Cider

• 1 gallon fresh cider or unfiltered apple juice

• 1 medium orange

• 1 ½ piece ginger

• 5 (3 inch) pieces of cinnamon sticks

• 1 tbsp whole cloves

• 5 star anise pods

• 1 ½ – 2 cups bourbon, brandy, or rum

• Orange slices or zest for serving (optional)

Directions for Mulled Cider

1. Pour the cider or juice into a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.

2. Cut the orange into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Cut the ginger into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add both to the slow cooker.

3. Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise. To make it easier to serve, place the cloves and star anise pods in a tea ball first, or place in a double layer of cheesecloth or coffee filter, gather it up into a sachet, and tie closed with kitchen twine.

4. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the flavors meld, 4 hours on LOW. Add the bourbon, brandy, or rum and stir to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to meld. Keep warm and serve in mugs garnished with orange slices.

from my table to yours

– rae

Rachel Beharry

Cal Lutheran '22

I am a Biology Major with a passion for the arts and science, but when I am not in school, you can either find me hanging out with my friends and having an amazing time or having a bonfire at the beach with some s'mores, friends, and a whole lot of laughter.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!