pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

As we enter into the Spring Semester, it’s crazy to think about how many people you meet in the 4 years you’re at college. You don’t just meet people in your residence hall, you meet people everywhere. I remember coming into Cal Lu thinking that it would be hard to make friends because, for the most part, in high school your friends were the people you had classes with and you had that class for a whole year. In college, it’s only for a semester. But I’ve met so many great friends in my classes and one of these amazing people is Amanda “Mandy” Avella. We had Gender and Literature: U.S. Diversity together and bonded over the readings and the papers. She’s one of the sweetest people I’ve met so please read more to learn about why she’s so great!

Her Campus at Cal Lutheran: What’s your major? Why did you choose it?

Amanda Avella: Environmental science (Marine Bio). I have always had a love for the ocean and it’s animals. This has been my dream since I was 4. 

Photo courtesy of Pexels

HCCLU: What’s it like being in your major?

AA: It’s fun and very informative. With it being environmental science, there’s new things to learn each semester given the constant changes in the environment. 

HCCLU: As a follow up for your passion about the environment, how do you feel about the way people look at the issue of climate change?

AA: I find it interesting that the facts are in front of all of us that climate change is happening yet some people choose to say blind to it. 

HCCLU: What would you say to people who don’t believe in climate change or who don’t think it’s a serious issue?

AA: I would tell people to look at the facts. Look at our ocean temperature, the ice caps melting. All of the info is in front of us.                                                                 Mandy and her New West staff at the RA Christmas Banquet

HCCLU: What are some of the things you’ve been part of the past four years at Cal Lutheran?

AA: I was a Peer Advisor my sophomore year as well as in programs board. I was an RA my junior year and currently am an RA. I was a part of the women’s soccer team my freshmen year and I am currently the treasurer for the pre-vet club. 

Mandy and her New West RA staff 

HCCLU: Do you have any advice for students who are in your major?

AA: Stick with it! It definitely has times where it seems impossible, as well as boring lol, but it’s so worth it. The reward is so great and makes everything worth it. 

HCCLU: What’s it been like as a senior so far? Any regrets now that you’re looking back?

AA: It’s been unreal, it doesn’t feel real that I’m going to be graduating in 4 months. My only regret would be that I waited too long to get active on campus. 

HCCLU: What are your favorite memories at Cal Lutheran?

AA: Any moment that I’ve been able to build relationships and grow as an individual through my experiences on campus. 

HCCLU: What’s your favorite quote or a motto that you live by?

AA: Don’t suck, this is something my dad has been telling me for years. It started the first year he ever coached my soccer team and didn’t know how to give a pep talk. His philosophy is that if we don’t suck, then we must have done well! He’s carried that quote on to Brytt and I anytime we have anything going on, and it’s something that I plan to take with me forever. 

Mandy and her dad

Kyla Buenaventura

Cal Lutheran '19

Kyla Buenaventura was the Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran from 2017-2019. She double majored in Economics and Political Science with an emphasis in Law and Public Policy. When she was still at Cal Lutheran, she loved writing and inspiring her Writing Team to express their love and passion for topics through their own unique writing styles.