jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Making a Difference with Morgan West

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Morgan West. She loves history and activism and is passionate about happiness and social change. If you’re looking for a go-getter whose creativity and drive are moving this campus, look no further. From being president of the Black Student Union to working at Lush, Morgan will keep you on your toes.

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: What is your major and how did you choose it?

Morgan West: My major is History Pedagogy. It’s history with a teaching emphasis. I took a history class freshman year. I was so bummed about it because I got a 4 on AP U.S. History, but the teacher was so cool. The questions were out of the box and made you think. It made me see history in a different way and realize that it is relevant to today.

HC: What are you involved with on campus?

MW: I’m a DA for the history department. I’m also president of Black Student Union and History Club treasurer. I do work with multicultural programs in the way that I work closely with Daniel Lawrence on projects. I also work at Lush, which is fresh and handmade cosmetics. I love it because we fight animals testing, and all ingredients are fairtrade and ethically sourced.

HC: How do you balance it all?

MW: In terms of extra curriculars, I balance by delegating. President doesn’t always mean “end-all-be-all”. All of my officers are amazing and have a big role in everything Black Student Union does.

HC: So, what exactly does Black Student Union do?

MW: In terms of Black Student Union, it changes every year. It is a resource for underrepresented minorities on campus. We spread Black Culture. We share meals, watch movies, and engage in thoughtful discussions.

HC: What are you most passionate about?

MW: I am passionate about overall happiness and well-being, not just for myself, but for everyone. I love seeing things where people are a small part of greater movements, like grassroots charities. I like to think that one day when I’m no longer here, I’ll have made a change in someone’s life, and a positive impact on the world.

HC: What sets you apart as a leader, and what do you think are the most important qualities to possess as a leader?

MW: The most important qualities are humility, the ability to listen, engage, and take other’s feedback into consideration, the ability to make hard decisions, and a genuine passion for whatever it is you do. To be quite honest, I don’t really know what sets me apart as a leader. I’m just a person who is passionate about education and diversity. I guess I would say recognizing leadership in other people.

HC: Where do you see yourself in the future?

MW: Well, I’ve been planning my wedding since I was ten, so that’s not a scary question for me! In ten years, I see myself in a classroom, dressed as Mary Todd Lincoln, teaching a lively and interactive lesson about the Civil War. I see myself married; however I am a feminist, and do not think everybody needs to get married. I’ve always wanted to be a mom because I want to feel unconditional love for someone the way my mom does for me.

natalie elliott

Cal Lutheran

Natalie is a junior at California Lutheran University majoring in Communications with an emphasis in journalism and minoring in Global Studies and Spanish. She interned with the HC National office the summer before college and writes for the Features section for Her Campus Cal Lutheran. Her favorite things are window seats, chai tea, yoga, and Jesus.  
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!