Josephine Sarreal ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Name: Josephine Sarreal

Major: Biology

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Tujunga, CA

Relationship Status: I’m currently in a relationship.

Height:  5’4”

Favorite sport: That’s hard… I like watching tennis because I’ve always wanted to play tennis. But I kinda like anything with basketball because I like that sense of being aggressive. It’s fun.

Favorite Food: I have a rotation of favorites, but I would have to say that my constant favorite would have to be Mac N’ Cheese. It’s just a good go-to

So let’s get into some deeper questions, and start things off!

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: How do you feel about being nominated as a Campus Cutie this week?

JS: It’s an honor, I was quite surprised when I was approached, you know, with the interview. I was like, “Wow! This is so flattering.” But really, I’m glad that I’m worthy to be a candidate.

HC: Where is your favorite place on campus?

JS: Good question. I think my favorite place on campus would probably be the cafeteria. I like eating food, food is great. And it’s also a nice place to, you know, share a meal with your good friends and catch up. Because I know a lot of us have busy schedules and going there to share a meal is good way to unwind.

HC: What’s your favorite T.V. show and why?

JS: That’s tough… I’ll give you one of my favorites, I really like Mad Men. I love how it gives us a glimpse into what it was like back in the 50’s and 60’s. I don’t know if it’s entirely accurate, the dynamics in the business world between men and women.

HC: If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be and why?

JS: Particular. I mean, I like things a certain way… I would say I’m a dysfunctional perfectionist, in a way, because the goal is to be as organized as possible. But I give myself wiggle room. For instance, I like to eat gummy bears in a certain color order. I like to save the best flavor for last. So like in the Scooby Doo Snacks, I think the blue one is the best so I eat all the other ones first, and save the blue gummies for last.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

JS: If everything goes according to plan, I hope to become a speech therapist and start working with people in the hospital, or maybe younger kids in a school setting. I would be, let’s see… 29, so hopefully in a stable relationship and on the verge of getting married.

HC: So what made you choose Speech Therapy?

JS: Going a little personal, I have a younger brother who had two strokes about a year and a half ago. It affected the left side of his body, his neurological condition as well as his speech. So his experience was really the thing that inspired me, or at least made me think about becoming a speech therapist. And I’ve helped my brother with speech exercises, you know, so I guess I’ve already done some of the work and experience.

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

JS: I love music. I’ve been involved in it since high school, pretty regularly actually. I was in jazz band, beginning band, hand bell choir… just really involved. But when I got to college, it kind of faded off because I became so busy. It’s definitely a hobby when I get the chance. What else… I like cooking. But that’s only when I’m at home.

HC: What are your favorite genres or types of music to play?

JS: I really like playing film scores or songs that have been in the soundtracks of movies. I like doing piano covers of those, and I’m into doing guitar covers of most Alternative or Folk songs. I also do acoustic versions of Hip Hop songs on the guitar. So I like a pretty broad range of music I guess.

HC: How do you go about choosing what soundtracks or songs to cover?

JS: It depends on the status of a movie, I guess. Like the big budget films such as Dark Knight, Inception… those usually have a backing of a really well-known composer, so I know there’s going to be some really stellar music. Hans Zimmer, for example, a PHENOMENAL composer. And if I like it, I’ll try to cover it on the piano.

HC: Describe your emotion when you’re in the middle of covering a song or score.

JS: Well it depends on the song, of course, but I would say I’m very absorbed in the piece. If it’s dramatic and stirs up sadness or intensity of emotion, then I’ll try to replicate that. In order to get those emotions out of the piece and onto the piano, I have to feel them myself and become the emotion. It’s what the composer originally intended, so I have to put myself in their shoes and do the song justice I guess.

And now for some random questions to rap it all up!

HC: Heels or flats?

JS: Flats, flats, flats.

HC: Which season is your favorite?

JS: Winter. I’m a December baby, so I gotta represent the month I was born in, you know?

HC: If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

JS: Telekinesis. Ever since I watched Teen Titans growing up, I’ve really been into the “darker powers”.

HC: Do you have any secret talents you are willing to share?

JS: I can say the “synonym and cinnamon” tongue twister really quickly without error. But that’s the only tongue twister I can confidently say without messing it up. Like the whole “sea shells” one, I can’t do it.

o s

Bowdoin '17

*
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!