Important Life Lessons From Our Favorite Children’s Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It’s amazing how some of the greatest lessons we have learned throughout our lives reside within the pages of our favorite children’s books.

It is no mystery that reading as children can really shape people into the adults they become, and that’s because some of the greatest words of advice and wisdom come from literature aimed at young, budding minds. Chances are a lot of us did not realize this back when we were kids, but now that we are older we have a chance to truly appreciate these words of wisdom.

Here are a few quotes written for children’s books that can truly inspire a person at any age.

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl, The Twits 

Happy people really are the best people in every way, so have good thoughts and what you project to the world will be nothing but loveliness.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Dumbledore’s words of wisdom are by far some of the most magical parts of the Harry Potter novel series. Dumbledore reminds us all that although we may or may not be capable of certain things, we can choose who we want to be no matter what, and the decisions we make have a lot of power over who we become.

“You’ll get mixed up, of course,

as you already know.

You’ll get mixed up

with many strange birds as you go.

So be sure when you step.

Step with care and great tact

and remember that Life’s

a Great Balancing Act.”

-Dr. Seuss “Oh the Places You’ll Go!”

Dr. Seuss’s classic words on growing up were probably just a jumble of silly rhymes to us when we first heard them, now they perfectly capture the idea that life is one big unpredictable challenge that requires great caution while moving along.  

“Listen to the mustn’ts, child. Listen to the don’ts. Listen to the shouldn’ts, the impossibles, the won’ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me… Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” – Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends

Shel Silverstein’s words capture the true challenge of being a child, being told you can’t do this or that and at the same time being told that you can do and be anything in the future. Even as young adults we face this challenge, and it’s important to remember that even in college, anything truly can be.

“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think, and loved more than you’ll ever know.” – A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh

Possibly one of the best children’s book quotes out there. If you’re down or feeling blue, this quote is just the one for you!

“It is only with the heart that one can see rightly: what is essential is invisible to the eye.”- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince

Listen to your heart when you’re seeking the truth, not everything is as it seem. It’s easier said than done but not impossible.

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl, The Minpins

Roald Dahl wants you to know it is important to retain hope in the world around you, even in the hardest of times. Those who try to see the world as a place of hope and possibility are more likely to find the good in it. 

“The moment where you doubt you can fly, you cease forever being able to do it.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Don’t doubt yourself. The more you doubt yourself the less likely you are to take chances in life. You can fly, you can fly, you can flyyyyy! Okay… maybe you can’t fly, but you can do a lot of other amazing things if you have faith in yourself! 

“Life is worth living as long as there’s a laugh in it.” – L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Life is unpredictable and sometimes it can be cruel, but remembering that there’s so many parts of it that are good is essential to realizing just how valuable it is.

They say you shouldn’t look to the past for answers, but when it comes to children’s books, I think we can all make an exception.

Karie is currently a Senior at California Lutheran University. She is a Marketing Communications and TV/ Film Production major.When she's not busy working on content for Her Campus, Karie enjoys going to Disneyland, especially on Dapper Day, watching Sofia Coppola movies, and reading long novels at the beach.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!