This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

This question may sound silly, but what type of dog is better? Big or little, what about average-sized? In my opinion, big dogs are better than little dogs. 

In honor of National Pet Day, April 11th (yes, I know it’s early), I wanted to bring up a controversial question that was brought to my attention while pet sitting for some friends over the weekend. Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE dogs and adore puppies so much, but what invalidates my opinion is that I haven’t owned any dogs since I was about 12 years old. 

My family and I only ever had big dogs, which were black labrador retrievers. With that being said, while pet sitting, I was a little confused about how to actually care for little dogs. I’ve pet sat before for other friends, but they’ve only ever had big dogs. While I was taking care of the two super cute dachshunds, I noticed that little dogs aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. I had to get used to bending down to their level to pet them, not going too far of a distance on their morning walks, and I even realized that most little dogs are INSIDE dogs. 

This was quite the shift, given the fact that I have taken care of my dogs differently in the past. One time, I went to go feed them, and I realized that one of them went to the bathroom on the COUCH. Yes, I realized it was probably because they missed their owners, but still I was annoyed at the fact that they didn’t use the doggy door! I don’t like needy dogs but I do like ones you can cuddle up with and always depend on them. These dachshunds did that exact thing, but sometimes they were a little TOO needy and TOO cuddly. Sometimes, I’d pick them up to help them get on the bed or couch, and I feared somehow breaking their ribs while doing so. I’ve always had this fear of little dogs, to the point where I think that they’re so fragile that I can’t do any normal everyday dog activity with them. Playing fetch was a bust, they were way too tired to even run, and I realized that normal-sized tennis balls don’t fit in their mouths AT ALL. They needed a smaller tennis ball SPECIFICALLY for smaller dogs.

Little dogs, in my book, are a plan B when looking for a certain type of dog. I’ve always leaned towards more average-sized or bigger framed dogs. I guess I wasn’t USED to having to care for dogs that needed a little more attention in maintenance. But that doesn’t mean I never did the same for my bigger dogs. They are usually able to handle themselves a little more. 

Big dogs can actually PLAY and run with you without getting tired! These types of dogs are super fun to take on activities such as hiking, the beach, or even road trips. They’re always up for an adventure and will be the most loyal to you in any situation. Big dogs (depending on the breed) are great family dogs, and they can be so gentle with little kids. Plus, big dogs are easier to train and can be more dependent on themselves than smaller dogs. Big dogs are patient, don’t need much exercise (most of the time they do that themselves), have self-control, and have an immense abundance of love for all of their humans. I mean tell me you haven’t seen a huge, gentle, and fluffy dog that just goes up to you and nuzzles you all over. Isn’t that just adorable? Might I also add that big dogs tend to bond more quickly with their owners and usually don’t need any special kind of care or routine (some bigger dog breeds might differ).

Little dogs can also be in a mindset of their own or be in constant need of attention. Aggressiveness or standoffish manners can also be evident in little dogs, making them not as fun to hang around or cuddle with. Big dogs are also very watchful and can keep up with your busy day-to-day life! When it comes to kids, big dogs are also more endearing and comforting to be around. 

This also DOESN’T mean that I dislike little dogs, I love how cute they can be and how much they love to cuddle. Little dogs are great! Especially for apartments or small spaces, they don’t take up much space. I can see that other smaller dogs are more hypoallergenic and are great for children too! Little dogs also don’t eat much nor do they need a lot of cleaning or grooming! 

Overall, I just feel like little dogs don’t give you the most out of what a dog is supposed to give to us. Maybe this is just my opinion, and maybe I prefer bigger dogs more. And you reading this are entitled to your own opinion as well, but for now, I’m just going to say that little dogs are overrated.

Olivia Madera

Cal Lutheran '25

Hi, my name is Olivia Madera and I'm a writer/editor for Her Campus Cal Lutheran! I'm majoring in communications (with an emphasis in journalism) and minoring in film/tv. I love to read, write, bake, and travel (especially to the beach)!