Goodbye to My First Year at CLU, From a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I want to start my goodbye letter with a thank you. Thank you to Cal Lutheran for admitting me into an amazing school that has given me so many great opportunities and memories.  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to start my college experience over again. Thank you to my family who supported me through a tough transition. Thank you to my friends who have always been there.  

Me (center) and a few of my amazing friends

My first year at Cal Lutheran is something I am so grateful for, and a little sad to say good bye to. Being a transfer student was not what I had expected; but to be fair I didn’t really know what to expect.  Transferring to a new school is difficult, because you have to start the college process all over again.  I am so glad that I transferred, as I have gained so many new friends and experiences that I wouldn’t have had otherwise. It is a difficult decision, and once you commit to it, you have to navigate a new campus and making friends.  But even with the hard work it required, it was worth it. 

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

I will miss those friends I met who are graduating, though I wish them the best of luck. I will miss my Religion 372 class, and professor, Dr. Gill, who taught me how to appreciate other ways of thinking and bring aspects of them into my own life. I will also miss my COMM 231 professor, Dr. Hettinga, who helped me hone my writing skills even further.  I will miss being able to pull right into a parking spot because I have an 8 a.m. class and campus is still relatively empty.  These are just a few of the people and things that made it a great first year for me.  

I am looking forward to my next two years at Cal Lutheran, as I know it will offer me even more wonderful professors and friends along the way.  

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

So, I say good bye to my first year at Cal Lutheran, knowing it will give me many more people and things to miss, from a (grateful) transfer student.  

Bari Cashman

Cal Lutheran '21

Bari Cashman is a student at California Lutheran University. She is currently pursuing a degree in Marketing Communications. She is an avid reader and writer.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!