This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I must admit, this is an article I’ve been trying to avoid. As I look at this blank page I am overwhelmed at the thought of trying to put into words all the things I have learned, experienced and ways I have grown in the last 4 years. When I came to Cal Lutheran as a timid freshman, I had no idea what would be in store for me. I would have never thought I would be lucky enough to meet lifelong friends, find a major that I am fiercely passionate about, find myself on the football sidelines (yet again) and most importantly, become Her Campus at Cal Lutheran President. 

The past four years have been difficult yet rewarding, stressful yet exciting and grueling yet fulfilling. I have seen my lowest lows in the past four years. Through grief and loss, a pandemic, fires, a mass shooting and much more I have been shown my own strength. However, I have seen my highest highs. Being awarded the Criminology and Criminal Justice Department Distinction Award, being the Culver Behavioral Science Fellow, the Inside Out Prison Exchange Program Program Assistant, finding love with the boy across the hall, laughing so hard I cry with my roommates and planning every HCCLU All Chapter, these are the hallmark moments I am heartbroken to say goodbye to. 

To the members of HCCLU, you have made my college experience. I will cherish every moment we have shared and I am so thankful for the opportunity to be a part of leading such an incredible sisterhood. Every bonding, meeting, International Women’s Day and article I have read has touched my heart personally. However, none of this would be possible without the dedication of the executive team. Alex, Angelina, Nico, Jess, Simran and Hannah, there are not enough words to express my gratitude. Thank you for trusting me and my sometimes outlandish ideas. You are in remarkable hands with Hannah. I look forward to seeing all the amazing things you do. 

Cal Lutheran, I am saddened to say goodbye to you. While I know you have prepared me well and I have learned all I can from you, change is never easy. 

“How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard” – Winnie the Pooh.

Sophia Placencio

Cal Lutheran '22

Hi, my name Sophia Placencio and I am the HCCLU president! I am a senior at California Lutheran University majoring in Criminal Justice!