This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Although it is still hard for me to believe, I am somehow at the end of my first year of college. It’s a cliche told to us by our parents to cherish these times, for they’ll be gone before we know it — and it’s true. It still feels like only yesterday that I was signing yearbooks and taking my last final exams of high school, scared out of my wits of continuing on to college. I was just starting to pick out classes I wanted to take and creating my dorm room checklist. I was unaware of all the experiences I would gain and the lessons I would learn about myself and the world.

I didn’t know that in a couple of months, I would move into my new dorm and meet the people who would become my new best friends. I entered college still the same quiet, scared-of-the-world girl I had been in high school, and feared the possibility of having to meet new people. Yet the people I would be surrounded by would click with me in the best possible way, and I came to find that making new friends really isn’t so hard. You learn a lot about friendship as you go through life. Sometimes, that means drifting apart from those you once considered close friends. It can mean having to break off a good friendship for everyone’s well-being. Most importantly, it means that you can create friendships in even the most difficult of circumstances, and they can make life feel a whole lot better. 

Kayla Bacon-Friends Sitting On Road
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

I didn’t think I’d be able to handle college, in all honesty. Sure, I was a good student in high school, but that didn’t stop me from feeling scared. It’s a common experience that I would come to learn I was not alone in. Most of us have this fear of the unknown, expecting to fail even if we’re equipped with the right skills. Who are we — a bunch of naive high school graduates — to thrive in this new environment? It’s not easy, and there was definitely a lot of stress each semester, but I survived. Thanks to my many incredible professors and amazing classmates, I succeeded in ways I could have never imagined. To be fair, I also have to thank my high school for making sure I was prepared. Above all, I have to thank myself, and all the hard work I did to get to college, as that proved that I was able to get through anything. 

Of course, one of the best parts of entering college was joining Her Campus. There was a part of me that wanted to keep my head down, stay quiet, and not join any clubs. Yet for some odd reason, I was pulled to check out all the tablings on the spine at the beginning of the fall semester. When I learned about Her Campus, I knew it was the place for me. Being a part of the chapter — specifically the social media and writing teams — meant becoming a part of the amazing sisterhood we have created. Not to mention, having my articles published pushed me out of my comfort zone and helped to fuel my love for writing. I didn’t just join a club, I joined a family who is working to put out great content for women on campus and across the country. 

a hand holds a pen writing on sheets of paper on a wooden desk. there\'s a coffee cup and a notebook in front of it.
Free-Photos | Pixabay

My first year of college was a whirlwind of exams, papers, meetings, stress, and laughter that I’ll cherish for the rest of my life. Sure, it didn’t end the way I had planned, and I was disappointed that I didn’t get to spend more time on campus. Yet I still learned so much over the 6 months that I spent there. I learned that I’m much stronger than I thought, and though I still have my fears about life, I was able to go out and live it on my own. I learned that friendships may have struggles, but at the end of the day, I wouldn’t be anywhere without my best friends. I learned how fun it can be to step out of my comfort zone and live in ways I never imagined. But in this last half of the semester, with all the changes and frightening realities, I learned just how much good there is in the world. From friends checking in to make sure I was okay, to professors working to ensure we did not struggle in our new environments, I was shown how small acts of human kindness make a world of difference in difficult times. College threw me into a world I was afraid of, but it opened my eyes to just how incredible it can be.   

Caroline Lopez

Cal Lutheran '23

Hello! My name is Caroline and I’m an English major at California Lutheran University. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California, and love spending time going to the beach and traveling around the state. I am a passionate book nerd who spends all her free time reading the classics, watching old movies, and writing!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!