Dancing Through Life: Faith Elliot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

This celebrity devotes not just her time to the art of dance but herself as well. This has truly become a part of who she is and what she wants for the rest of her life. 

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: When did you start dancing?

Faith Elliot: I started dancing when I was around 4 years old. But when I was younger I wanted to try a lot of different things, so I put dancing aside and tried art classes, soccer, gymnastics, and even t-ball. But I didn’t love any of them like I love dance and I had to come back. Overall I’ve been dancing for 13 years, more or less, and I couldn’t live without it. 

HC: How did you become the Dance Captain here at CLU?

FE: I joined the Dance Team as a freshman at CLU and learned a lot from the upperclassmen on the team. Last year as a returner to the team, I was a captain along with one other team member, and this year I’m captain/president. I guess you could say that the position suits those with experience and also who the team thinks is capable. I’m really lucky and honored to be with this team! The girls are so talented and are such awesome people. We all support one another, and we all treat each other as equals which is really great.

HC: How much of your time and yourself do you devote to dance?

FE: Dance is definitely a personal commitment for me. Just like with any athlete, musician, or artist, you spend a lot of time doing it because you love it! This semester I’m dancing around 10-11 hours a week, and next semester it’ll be around 16 I think. That’s for dance team practices, dance classes at CLU, and dance outside of practice and class, like teaching or just dancing. Other than time, I feel like I’m always thinking about dance-related things: costumes, watching videos, thinking about new pieces… It sounds like a lot but it’s always fun for me. When I danced during high school I was just as busy, if not busier! But it’s fun – it’s what I love. And I know when to take a break too so I don’t get burnt out. 

HC: Would you like to dance professionally?

FE: I’m starting to look at a lot of different job options and programs for dance after graduation. I definitely want to keep dancing because it’s always been such a big part of my life! I also want to teach dance, and one of my goals is to teach at the studio where I grew up. 

HC: What is your experience in the dance world so far?

FE: The dance world is pretty multi-faceted and I’ve seen different sides. I trained at my studio and competed from age 12-18. Competitive dance is multi-faceted in itself but it’s fun. I think as long as you stay well-rounded in all styles, then it can prepare you to be a working dancer. Luckily I feel like my studio helped me feel confident in many different styles. Many of my teachers are working dancers, so they have first-hand insight to prepare us for what the dance industry looks for. I also was on my high school’s dance team which was all about precision and technical skills. Now on the dance team and with classes at CLU, I’ve been able to mix both the technical skills along with the style. I’ve gotten to experiment with choreography and grow even more in my dancing. Each side of the dance world has taught me so much and helped me become the dancer I am today.

HC: What is your favorite style of dance?

FE: My favorite style is contemporary!

HC: Have you ever wanted to do something other than dancing or give up? If so, what made you keep going?

FE: There definitely are times where dance can be discouraging. It’s easy to compare yourself to other dancers and their abilities and bring yourself down. Battling through injuries can also be really tough, especially when dance requires your entire body. It can take a toll when you can’t dance, physically and mentally. Also, there have been times where I haven’t been chosen for an opportunity because of my shorter build/body type. Sometimes the negatives can make you question if it’s worth it. But overall, all the hard times and rejections have taught me to work harder. Growing up, my dance teachers didn’t let us say “I can’t” or negative things like that when things were challenging, and I think that really influenced my work ethic and how I face challenges. I know how important hard work is, and I know that I’m the only one who can take that next step and push myself to achieve my goals!  

My name is Marisa Shlichtman and I am attending Cal Lutheran University where I will be studying theatre and communications. I love anything about theatre and have acted and directed before. I used to play soccer and still love the sport though I don't play anymore. This magazine is the first magazine I have written for but it sounds like an amazing opportunity to get involved within my campus and try something new.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!