This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It’s crazy to think of how much time has gone by since I first started to write for Her Campus. During that time, I’ve had a hard time adjusting to another year at college and processing a lot of changes that happened in the past year. 

First things first, I’m a sophomore in college now, and since I turned 19 years old, I feel older than I should be. During the summer I made “big girl decisions” such as: getting a credit card, paying off loans, buying my own things for college, and trying to maintain my high school friendships and other relationships I had while home for the summer.

Being at home for the first time after moving to college was honestly a struggle. I faced a change in my routine, I didn’t have schoolwork for the entire summer, and I was constantly fearing the future. It was a hard adjustment, but I still persisted and worked most of the summer while spending time with family and friends. 

Over this past year, I have noticed that I am a completely different person. I think differently, my perspectives (mentally, emotionally, and spiritually) have changed, and I have grown from the girl I used to be. I’m changing into an adult and it’s honestly really scary for me to realize that sometimes, but don’t we all have to accept it at some point? Even though my writing style has changed, I’ve gotten better than I used to be at writing (well hopefully), especially since I want to pursue a career in journalism. I’ve even had friendships and relationships that forced me to change my view on how to either better them, get rid of them, or work on them. 

Now, I’m not sure how you perceive change, but I HATE change. I think it’s scary and annoying, and sometimes it can be extremely HARD. But, I’m here to tell you (more to remind myself) how change can be a good thing. We aren’t perfect. No one is born perfect. But, society still wants us to think that no matter the amount of change we go through, we have to be perfect while doing so. If you are going through these same things, just know that you are not alone. 

Change is something that we can’t make go away, and here’s a surprise, it’s going to keep coming at you. Just think of the changes in your life as a test or learning opportunity. The change you will go through will be crucial to help you navigate life experiences and benefit your personal growth.  

I’m just here to say that you are doing great, you are heard, you are seen, and you are loved. Growing up is HARD and change is even HARDER, especially when you’re not ready for it. But everything will be okay, and the worries you have are just distractions to stop you from focusing on what matters most. Your priorities are the love you have for yourself and the relationships you have with others. And hey, if you really want to dive deep and wallow in the change that’s happening in your life, listen to One Direction’s song “Night Changes”. It’s okay to feel your feelings and just cry once in a while, I mean, I do.  

Olivia Madera

Cal Lutheran '25

Hi, my name is Olivia Madera and I'm a writer/editor for Her Campus Cal Lutheran! I'm majoring in communications (with an emphasis in journalism) and minoring in film/tv. I love to read, write, bake, and travel (especially to the beach)!