books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Cal Lutheran’s Little Ray of Sunshine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I’m currently a junior at Cal Lutheran and these past three years have been a blur. However, there are a few moments and a few people that stand out from that blur of work, classes, studying, homework, papers, and stress; those moments and people are as clear as day. One of those people is Patty Garcia, who is part of the housekeeping team on campus. I remember meeting her for the first time when I was living in Thompson Hall, and I never knew I could meet someone who was so happy to see a stranger. Her smile lights up the room and makes my day. Throughout the past three years, I’ve seen Patty make connections with all of the students in the halls she works in- she calls us by our names, she asks how we’re doing, and she truly cares. Now that I live in Trinity Hall, I get the privilege of seeing Patty everyday. I make it a point on Tuesdays and Thursdays to go through a different staircase just so I can say hi and ask how she’s doing. I truly believe that Patty is one of the highlights of living on campus and living at a university like Cal Lutheran, where there is genuinely wonderful faculty and staff who care about us.

Aside from taking care of her own 2 children, both are students at Cal Lutheran, she watches out for her residents in Trinity Hall and for the past 6 years, she’s been watching out for all of the students she meets. Starting her day at 5:00 am, Patty never fails to have a smile on her face that gets brighter whenever she sees a resident. She brings sunshine to Cal Lutheran through her passion for her students, through her kindness, and through her compassion and love for each and every one of us.  

Patty with me!

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: When did you start working at Cal Lutheran?

Patty Garcia: I started working here 6 years ago.

HCCLU: Were you always working in the residence halls or were you working somewhere else on campus when you first started?

PG: I’ve mostly been working all over the campus. I switch between offices, the residence halls, a combination of the two, and in the Gilbert Sports Arena, as well. I love working in the residence halls the most because I have the opportunity to see the students everyday.

HCCLU: You seem like you know everyone in the residence halls. We were just talking outside and you were saying hi to residents, calling them by their name, and asking them how their day is going. How do you manage to recognize everyone and have conversations with them?

PG:  For me, it’s so special to see the students everyday. I’m cleaning, so I don’t see why I shouldn’t take the opportunity to ask their names and have a conversation with them. I think it’s special when you call somebody by their name. In my experience, when I meet somebody and I see them later on and they recognize me and call me by my name, I feel special. So I want to do the same for the students and staff.

HCCLU: What do you love the most about working at Cal Lutheran?

PG: I feel like I have a family here. All the students, staff, and faculty treat me like family and they ask me how I’m doing and they care- you might not always work in a place where the people around you care. This environment is just special to me.

HCCLU: You worked in the first year residence halls and now you’re in the upperclassmen halls. Have you had the opportunity to see the students you first met in Thompson, Pederson, and Mount Clef here in Trinity?

PG: Yes I have seen them. I’ve been able to recognize all the students I first met in the first year halls- when they left I would only see them in passing. Now that I’m in Trinity, I can see how they’ve been going after their dreams and they share some of their experiences with me. It’s a special feeling to know that they want to share their life with me.

HCCLU: Where did you work before you came to Cal Lutheran?

PG: I worked in a senior living home for 10 years before I came to Cal Lutheran.

HCCLU: What made you decide to come work at Cal Lutheran?

PG: When my son was accepted here, I made the decision to come join this beautiful campus. It was hard for me to leave the senior living home. I learned many things working with seniors, the compassion and love I had for them on a daily basis was overwhelming. Then to come here and work with young students, it was a big difference. But the same feeling of sharing friendship and passion and to see them with a lot of energy is something that I fell in love with.

HCCLU: Was it difficult when you first started working here?

PG: The senior living home and Cal Lutheran are two very different places. Obviously in the senior living home, I was just working with seniors. Moving here, working with young people, it was very different. I have the same feeling of putting my ownership and my pride into everything I do, no matter what kind of job I have. I think this is the key that makes you feel happy with what you do.

HCCLU: What’s you favorite memory here at Cal Lutheran?

PG: When my supervisor switched me from Pederson to Gilbert, the students were actually looking for me and wondering where I was. One day, one of them came looking for me and they asked if I could help them in the Lundring building. And I said of course, how can I help you. So they had me come to the building with them and I was in shock because they had a video where the students were talking to me and sharing how they feel about how grateful they were for me. They gave me flowers and a banner that said ‘We love you Patty.’ They posted it on Facebook and it was so special. I shared it with my kids at home and even my daughter was crying when she heard how the students were expressing their feeling about me.

HCCLU: How did it feel in that moment when you saw the banner and the video?

PG: I never thought I was going to leave such an impression behind. The only thing I can say is that I’ve been living one day at a time and I’ve been giving love and passion for all of them. I always tell my students that I’m always here for them and that if there’s anything I can do, they can count on me.

HCCLU: What is your wish for all the students?

PG: I wish them success. I tell them when they feel tired and frustrated, to keep following their dreams because I know that one day they are going to be very successful because this university creates leaders for the future, for society. That’s the university’s mission and I’m pretty sure all of them are going to be very successful.

HCCLU: I know you wish the student success, do you wish them happiness as well?

PG: Yes, definitely. I always tell them that they need to make sure that they are studying something that will make them feel happy. If they want to be working in the office or working with fitness or something else, they need to be happy doing whatever they like. They need to find their passion because that’s what’s going to make them feel happy.

HCCLU: What’s your passion, Patty?

PG: When you put forth ownership and pride and you’re happy with what you’re doing, that’s actually the path that’s leading you to find your passion in everything you do. I think that’s actually the key; for example, I see you with your decorations on the fifth floor. I can tell that you put your passion in there because I can see the perfection and that led me to the opportunity to get to know you. Sometimes the students don’t know, but I see the kinds of activities they do and create with their work and before I meet them, I already know a little bit about them. I can tell you’re very passionate with everything because you go after perfection.

HCCLU: Do you find it easy to observe the little details that make each of your students special?

PG: Yes, definitely. When we start having some conversations I can tell their preferences, the way they like to do their things and that gives me the opportunity to know them. When I see them everyday I like to greet them and make sure they’re doing okay. In this life, with everyone, we all deal with difficult things and we have good times and bad times. I think it’s very important to at least say good morning and how are you doing. When they are away from home, I can see myself in the same situation and I appreciate when somebody is asking how you’re doing and if everything’s okay; those simple words mean a lot. The students are being very nice to me, they all treat me very well. They always stop even if they are in a hurry on their way to class; they make time to stop and ask me how I’m doing. I think when both sides take the time to ask, that’s how we create a strong bond between myself and each student.

HCCLU: Do you have any advice for your students?

PG: I always tell the students that I’m pretty sure, one day, I’m going to see them again and we will share the memories when they used to be students here and I always tell them that I know they’re going to be creating their own success. They’ll create companies or be part of businesses and change lives. I can actually see them with their own success.

HCCLU: How do you like making people feel at home?

PG: The campus offers a lot of flowers, a lot of beautiful flowers, and when I see the flowers, I don’t see why I shouldn’t bring the flowers over here. So I bring the flowers over here and make the spaces look a little less empty. I’ll rearrange the furniture so that it isn’t the same feeling every time they walk through the doors.

The flowers Patty sets out on the 2nd floor of Trinity Hall.

HCCLU: What or who inspires you?

PG: My mother is very special to me, she is my big example in life. I think I am the way I am because I follow her advice and her life. She was always teaching me that it’s very important not to live life without doing something good for somebody. I think that’s the reason why I feel passion in helping others, no matter where you are and what you do. In life, you have to be full of kindness and in the same way, you need to find someone who is also showing kindness.

HCCLU: You’ve been here for 6 years so that means you’ve already been through one graduating class; you met them when they were first years and you saw them when they graduated. Was that sad when you saw these kids graduate because you built a strong relationship with them throughout their whole career here at Cal Lutheran?

PG: It’s a combination of different feelings. I feel so emotional when I see them in their gowns and walking down to receive their diplomas. I know this is one of the steps they need to move forward and create another goal for their own success. So I’m happy that they’re accomplishing their goals and moving forward, but I’m also sad to see them leave.

HCCLU: I’ve talked to several students and all of them appreciate you so much. They always only have nice things to say about you. Do you know how appreciated you are?

PG: No not really, I don’t know what to say about that. The only thing I can tell you is that I try my best to make them feel like they’re at home. Working in the residence halls, I feel special because this is their home and I try to do my best to help them and make sure they’re doing okay and feeling okay. This is their home and this is my home because I spend a lot of time here as well. So we create this big family. But my students should know that I love them as well. Everywhere I go, I put my ownership and pride in my work. I love all the students. I think when they are away from home and they start here as a first year, for me to have the opportunity to see them grow and pursue their dreams and goals, I love watching that happen. I can tell you that I feel like they belong to me when they are here; I care for all of them so much. When they graduate I celebrate as well- sometimes I have the opportunity to meet their parents. It’s those memories with the students and with their families that I’ll keep in my heart forever.

*Photos courtesy of author 

Kyla Buenaventura

Cal Lutheran '19

Kyla Buenaventura was the Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran from 2017-2019. She double majored in Economics and Political Science with an emphasis in Law and Public Policy. When she was still at Cal Lutheran, she loved writing and inspiring her Writing Team to express their love and passion for topics through their own unique writing styles. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!