This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

*warning: this article will contain discussions about the Disney+ show, The Book of Boba Fett. Spoilers might be ahead, so spoiler alert just in case.

Though I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan out there, I was super excited to hear that there was another Star Wars show coming out on Disney+. Two years ago, Disney had a large success with their other live-action television series, The Mandalorian, which follows a lone bounty hunter and his journey with “The Child”. Similarly, The Book of Boba Fett follows in the same timeline as The Mandalorian, so here are several reasons why I enjoyed watching The Book of Boba Fett, and if you love the Star Wars franchise, then you should definitely add this show to your watch list.

1.) The continuing timeline from The Mandalorian and Return of the Jedi 

Of course I have to mention this first, since this is the main reason I wanted to watch Boba Fett, like many others. I enjoyed the new layer of worldbuilding that came with The Mandalorian, as we are familiar with places like Tatooine from the original Star Wars episodes. The timeline of The Book of Boba Fett takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi (Episode VI), where supposedly Boba Fett dies in the stomach of the Sarlacc. From there, we follow Boba Fett as he tries to recover from the brink of death, and without giving too much away, we get to revisit some places and people from The Mandalorian. That being said, if you haven’t seen The Mandalorian, it may be a bit difficult to follow along, but I highly recommend watching both shows in order to truly love the spin-off series.

The timeline of The Book of Boba Fett takes place five years after Return of the Jedi, where Boba Fett supposedly dies in the stomach of the Sarlacc.

2.) Having a female main character

One aspect of Boba Fett that I really enjoyed was the fact that they had a strong female lead character, which was none other than the powerful assassin Fennec Shand, played by Ming-Na Wen. Through the course of the show, she goes from owing Boba Fett her life after he brings back from the brink of death to being his right hand (wo)man helping him negotiate deals with other famous families in Mos Espa. She also has multiple scenes in the show where she proves that she can hold her own, and she cares about those around her on her team. She’s nothing short of being an amazing character with a great story arc, which is a common theme in The Book of Boba Fett for the main characters in the show. There are other female characters that are also worthy of recognition, but Fennec personally stood out as my favorite throughout the first season.

3.) Diving more into Boba Fett’s background as a main character

Okay yes, this seems obvious, but truly one of the best things from this show is that it doesn’t just answer the question of what happened to Boba Fett after Return of the Jedi, rather it explores Boba’s personality as wanting to be a leader for others. After he kills the Sarlacc and gets out from there, he gets kidnapped and taken in by the Tusken Raiders, and  begins to bond with them and learn their ways to acclimate into daily living again. Eventually he makes his way to Mos Espa and becomes the new ‘Daimyo’ of the city. From there I personally became more invested in his story, whereas when I watched Return of the Jedi, I didn’t really think twice about him. With both The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett, I’m glad that the world of Star Wars has been expanded to explore more about side characters that aren’t necessarily Sith or Jedi; as we see from Boba Fett’s story, things are a lot more complicated than following the ‘right’ thing to do. 

As we see from Boba Fett’s story, things are a lot more complicated than following the ‘right’ thing to do.

There are definitely more points that could be brought up for why you should watch the latest live-action from the Star Wars franchise, but I think you should watch it for yourself, especially if you enjoyed The Mandalorian. You can find both The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett available now on Disney+, and I hope you enjoy following Boba Fett’s story as much as I did.

Alex Warrender

Cal Lutheran '23

Hello, my name is Alex, and I'm the Senior Writing and Editing Director for the Cal Lutheran University chapter. I’m a senior Psychology Major who loves to devour books and write poetry in my spare time. I also love to play D&D and go thrifting when I can.