This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

American Pyscho

This film adaptation of the 1991 Novel is by no means a Halloween movie- and is quite better off for it. In this vaguely social commentary Christian Bale portrays Patrick Bateman, an investment banker living in Manhattan in the 1980’s. He is obsessed with status both financial and physical. He then goes on a calculated murdering rampage- trying to predict his next victim will keep you guessing. The film itself is not entirely grotesque, but his skills with an axe are somewhat alarming. A must see.

DO NOT WATCH THE SEQUEL WITH MILA KUNIS. You will regret it. And wonder why you can’t get those hours of your life back.

Scream

Perhaps one of the best traits of this film is the character’s self-awareness and knowledge of horror movie criteria and rules. Part suspense, part knowing satire this film follows Woodsboro, California teens dealing with the mysterious brutal murders of their classmates. Protagonist Sidney is harassed by a mysterious caller with the intent on killing her and reminding her of her hurtful past. This movie created a foundation for all modern “cat and mouse” style horror movies and helped to redefine the rules of the genre.

The sequel Scream 2 is a rare gem in the world of sequels: it carries its own weight while developing its own plotline. Scream 3…you can live without. The original is adamant about sticking to the traditional rule: you don’t mess with the content of the first movie. Scream 3 contradicts the whole franchise.

Silence of the Lambs

This film is a beautiful blend of crime and horror… and psychological analysis. An FBI trainee Clarice seeks the advice of imprisoned Hannibal Lector, a cannibalistic serial killer, to help her determine the identity of another serial killer “Buffalo Bill”. Hannibal agrees to help Clarice in exchange for personal information from her. Their conversations lead her to locating Bill where he has been killing women and skinning them. Don’t let that stop you from watching it; the horror of this film originates from its use of suspense and thrill not gore.

You’re Next

Some view it as a modern Scream– a compliment of course, but it doesn’t fully do it justice. Of course there are many similarities: the masked killer, the suspense of being trapped in a house, and the ultimate game of cat and mouse. Unlike Scream, the protagonist doesn’t have an ally to help combat the unknown. Her boyfriend and his family members are believed to be almost all dead or abducted after they invited her to their home for a formal dinner. As the death toll rises, it seems as if there is no hope left for the heroine until she discovers the motives of the killer.

Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in)

An odd Swedish blend of childhood romance, gore and murder this film was such a success, it produced an American remake. Don’t be deterred by the subtitles or the accents, there is a reason this film is superior: originality and shock value. A 12 year-old-boy named Oskar befriends vampire child, Eli, in Stockholm, Sweden in the 1980’s. After Eli learns that Oskar is being bullied she encourages him to stand up for himself but unwillingly declines his friendship. She later decides that their natures are similar: he wants to kill his bullies and she needs to kill to live. An unlikely friendship leads to the untimely murders of the unsuspecting.

The American remake is worth the watch, but doesn’t stand up to the original. 

Hi, I'm a Communications major and sophomore at California Lutheran University. I consider myself five feet of sarcastic pep. I'm very excited about Her Campus and having the ability to write about my passions!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!