messy pile of papers
messy pile of papers
Nyle De Leon
Career

Being an English Major at Cal Lu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I originally came to Cal Lutheran because I had heard from more than one person that the English program is amazing. I knew from freshman year of high school that I was going to be an English major, so it was important to me that I found the right college. I’m not 100% sure that Cal Lutheran was the right decision. 

I love Cal Lu, don’t get me wrong. The campus is so pretty and I have made so many friends. I got to be a part of Her Campus and I have even gained an executive position within the club. But the program I was promised that was amazing has been less than satisfying.

fountain pen on a letter
Alvaro Serrano

Out of all the professors that I’ve had for my English program, I’ve had maybe four good ones. That makes at least ten professors that were lacking and that I feel like I’ve been cheated out of a good education.

Dr. Rasmussen, Dr. Wee, and Dr. Lyons, and Professor Atkinson have taught me by far the most and have helped me on my way. I left all of their classes with a sense of accomplishment. Because even though I struggled, I ended up with great grades and new knowledge of my major and of what I want to do in life. However, with many of my literature and language classes, I haven’t left like that. I feel like there is something that I’m missing. 

Instead of reading the classics, I’ve read things that I have never even heard of. Instead of learning how to make my writing better, I was expected to already know everything, and instead of being told how to apply grammar rules in more serious situations, I was told to read to book and then apply it, without any instruction at all. If I wanted to teach myself, then I wouldn’t be paying the school the amount of money that I am for an education.

Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

However, I have learned how to strengthen my creative writing. I have come so far in my work with fiction and poetry, the two most important genres to me. These classes helped me realize that I hope to go on to get my Master’s in creative writing and to pursue it within my future career. 

Cal Lu definitely hasn’t been what I had hoped for it to be. I count my blessings every day though for the things that I have learned, the people that I’ve met, and all of the opportunities I’ve been given. While not everything has been perfect, I don’t think I would change a thing because it has made me a better student and shown me that I can rise to face any challenge that comes my way. 

Alexia Lee

Cal Lutheran '21

Alexia Lee is the Social Media Director for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She is a senior majoring in English with a minor in Creative Writing. She absolutely loves reading and writing, which she finds herself doing a lot in her free time. If she isn’t doing either, she can be found waltzing around Universal Studio’s Harry Potter World in her Ravenclaw robe, at the beach working on her tan, or daydreaming about where her travels will take her next.