Behind the Scenes with HC CLU’s President Dani Kluss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Meet Her Campus Cal Lutheran’s Campus Correspondent (also known as the President or Editor-in-Chief), Dani Kluss. She’s bound to be one of the most ambitious people you’ll meet on campus. A self described “procrastinating overachiever,” you’re likely to find Dani answering emails and color coding her planner while hanging out with friends, planning Her Campus events, working backstage in professional theatre or sitting in front of the talking windows at Disneyland. Read on to find out how this Campus Celebrity balances it all.

Her Campus: What is your major and how did you choose it?

Dani Kluss: I’m a Communications major and a Theatre minor. I chose Communications because I enjoy advertising and marketing, and I focus in on that in Her Campus and in my other jobs. I’ve found that it’s something I really love doing. As for my minor, I volunteer at a local professional theatre. I fell in love with technical theatre first and with stage management in my high school theatre and I started working with a local professional theatre when I was 16. I pursue those as much as I can in my free time, and it’s something I’m really passionate about.

HC: What are you involved with on campus?

DK: Well, Her Campus obviously. I do some things with theatre on campus, too, but not as much as I would like to. I’m really busy, but I’m hoping to be able to do more in the theatre department here next semester.

HC: How did you hear about Her Campus and what made you decide to start a chapter?

DK: Last year I started my own blog, and I heard about the Her Campus Blogger Network and became part of that. Her Campus Nationals then learned where I went to school, and upon realizing that there was no chapter there, reached out to me to start one. From there, I researched a lot about Her Campus, and really fell in love with the people, their mission, and the site. I think it really fills a gap we have here at CLU because we don’t have Greek Life. My goal with starting the chapter was to create a welcoming community on campus, and I think we are succeeding in that!

HC: What makes Her Campus unique compared to other publications?

DK: Her Campus is 100% student run. Also, we’re an online magazine, so a lot of our marketing is focused on social media. We are also a lot more than just a publication. We’re working really hard to have a presence on campus, from hosting events, working with ASCLUG to table and set up booths at their events, and overall becoming more involved in the school outside of just our publication. 

A big part of our chapter is that we pride ourselves on being a family, and being a sisterhood. It’s like having a little support group, and also an instant fifty friends.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about being a campus correspondent?

DK: Definitely being able to make an impact on campus and in the lives of my members. My favorite moment so far has been at the Interest Meeting that we hosted at the beginning of the fall semester, where a bunch of my returning members, unprompted, stood up and gave testimonials about why they love Her Campus so much. I love being able to make a difference like this in people’s lives. I feel like it’s especially hard to get involved on campus here, and I love being able to open that up to other people. Even upperclassmen will tell me that they finally felt like they found their place when they join Her Campus. 

HC: What are you most passionate about?

DK: Being happy. Is that too cheesey? There’s so many things that I focus on which help me get to that. With theatre, there’s just something about being backstage that lights up my heart. I also basically eat, sleep, and breathe Her Campus. Lastly, organization makes me happy and it’s important with everything I do. I can have fun with it! Color coding weirdly relaxes me.

HC: What are your future plans?

DK: Basically, to get through this semester and take less credits next semester so I can breathe. I’m currently taking 18 credits and working 5 jobs.

HC: What’s 3 things nobody knows about you?

DK: Let’s see..1) I have a couple of chronic illnesses, which make doing things and being this busy kind of difficult. One is an autoimmune disorder called Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, and another one is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility Type.

2) This one is kind of embarassing and seriously not very many people know about this… but I have a blog (DaniDearest.com). I started it last year, and I am actually making quite a bit of money off of it so I’m pretty proud. Check it out, I dare you!

3) And I am a Disneyland fanatic. It’s my happy place. Proud annual passholder. 

natalie elliott

Cal Lutheran

Natalie is a junior at California Lutheran University majoring in Communications with an emphasis in journalism and minoring in Global Studies and Spanish. She interned with the HC National office the summer before college and writes for the Features section for Her Campus Cal Lutheran. Her favorite things are window seats, chai tea, yoga, and Jesus.  
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!