danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Balancing Our Different Worlds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It’s a typical weekday night. You have work that needs to be done for that 8am class the next day. Your phone is buzzing as group texts chat away and Snapchats come flying in of what your friends are doing on different campuses around America. You promised your mum that you would call. Emails need to be caught up. And above everything, you are overdue a nap and haven’t watched an episode of your latest Netflix program that you are currently binge watching. If this sounds like you, then you’re probably a typical college student.Photo courtesy of Photopin.com

College is busy, some might even say hectic. Learning to manage your time is challenging and difficult for some. As students we have to balance all our different worlds and make them work in our lives. Let me introduce you to them:

Your High School Friends/ Partner:

If you’re lucky, they are close by and you can see them often, maybe you even go to the same college. If not, then communication and setting time aside each week to properly catch up with them is essential. It can be difficult not seeing your bff/ partner every day and spending that time together. They’ll be missing you too.

Your College Roommates and Friends:

Hopefully you get along well with your roommates and like to spend time with them. Making friends and spending time with friends on and off campus is important. The friendships that are built today can last a lifetime. Many adults who you will talk to about college will say that college was their best of time of their lives and that they made so many great memories, whether that’s sitting in Starbucks all night studying together with a double espresso or going on a midnight ice cream run.

Your Family (and Pets):

Home is where family and pets are. Maybe your home is a twenty minute car journey away, or maybe it’s a five hour flight away. Either way make sure you let them know you’re okay and tell them you miss them, because they will be missing you. Your little brother or sister will be missing the person they’ve spent their whole life looking up to, and your parents will be missing having you around the house even if at the end of summer you spent nearly every day out of the house with friends.Photo courtesy of Pixabay.com

College Work/ Clubs/ Sports/ Work:

At college many hours are spent sitting at a desk. The essays, reading, and studying can take what feels like an eternity. Ultimately we are here at college to get an education so take the opportunity and do the best you can! You may also have joined a sports team or a club or maybe you have a job. In that case, you have an important commitment. Staying organized is the key!

Looking After Yourself:

This is a world of ours that is so easy to neglect and ignore. Not exercising, eating junk food, forgetting to drink enough water and getting minimal sleep is sadly an easy pattern to fall into. Don’t neglect the person you should respect the most, yourself! This also includes delegating some “me time”. Don’t forget to relax and take time to do something you enjoy!

So there are all of our worlds. It’s a lot to keep in check with and as students we have multiple responsibilities that I didn’t mention, such as laundry…but with a bit of thought it is do-able, and we will push through those busy weekday nights AND have time to watch our latest Netflix program!

“Balance is not something you find, it is something you create.” – Jana Kingsford

Photo courtesy of Pixabay.com

Rosie Baker

Cal Lutheran '21

Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. I am in my senior year completing a communication major and creative writing minor. Born and raised in England, I am a British girl California living who loves all things Disney, Friends, and beach related.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!