courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Awesomeness of Freshmen Seminar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

I had always thought that college was sink or swim. Even though I was excited to start this new chapter in my life, I was afraid of becoming lost in the chaos of college. I was scared of whether or not I would make friends, whether or not I would do well in my classes, whether or not I would know which direction to go. Freshmen seminar gave me the guidance I needed to start college off on the right foot. 

Freshmen Seminar is basically a support group that helps students learn how to make the best out of college. During the 5 day orientation at Cal Lu, my peer advisor, Dixie, made sure we all felt included. She helped us feel comfortable in this new environment and helped us get to know each other (even though that meant the awkwardness of icebreakers). We did service projects and tons of activities that strengthened our bonds.

One of my favorite activities we did was the JustServe project where we removed plants that were not indigenous to the region.  This was where I met some of my best friends. Freshmen seminar is still an awesome source of support for me. There are always familiar faces around campus, I finally know where I fit in, and I realized what I want to pursue in life. Even though the class is now over, I will forever be thankful for it. It has given me the strength and confidence that I will use for a lifetime. 

Emily Killian

Cal Lutheran

Emily is a Freshman at California Lutheran Univiveristy. She is a writer, reader, collector of books, eater of fried chicken,  equestrian,  photographer, traveler, old soul, and fan-girl of too many t.v shows.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!