ASCLUG: Creating Change on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

On Monday November 16 at 6 PM, all students are welcomed and encouraged to attend ASCLUG’s Student Forum at the Student Patio. Cal Lutheran students have great ideas and concerns but are never too sure how to express it. The Forum is the perfect chance to present your ideas and bring change to our campus.

Not only is this is a great opportunity to share those thoughts but you will also have the opportunity to meet the student representatives and hear what exciting plans they have for this year and the future.

We have created a roundup of everything that you need to know about ASCLUG before you attend the Forum.

ASCLUG stands for Associated Students of California Lutheran Government. There are three boards that make up ASCLUG- Executive Cabinet, Senate and Programs Board. All though each board is separate, they all work together under ASCLUG to operate under the mission to be the voice of Cal Lutheran students in everything they accomplish and do.

The Executive Cabinet governs the body of Senate and Programs Board. This team consists of ASCLU President Evan Carthen, ASCLU Senate Director Daniel Lacey, ASCLU Programs Board Director Amber Trujillo, ASCLU Controller Christine Trunick and ASCLU Recorder Kianna Parker. This group provides leadership for both Senate and Programs Board while assuring the execution and implementation of all policies and events by making sure they truly do represent the interest of the students.

Senate has the huge responsibility of approving clubs and allocating funds to them. Also, they get to independently work on projects that are used to take care of the needs of the students and Cal Lutheran community.

“Personally I hope to achieve a lot this year as a Senator,” says Junior Senator, Adam Santa Cruz, “I am hosting a few events as my Senate projects, the first of which is, ‘Exchange for Change,’… I am also hosting another event next semester in hopes to increase political awareness amongst students, this event is called “iSideWith,” which is based off an internet quiz in which people fill out a questionnaire and it matches them up, by percentages, with the candidate they should vote for in the upcoming election.”

Programs Board has the opportunity to plan all the fun events that enhance the community feeling of Cal Lutheran. You can expect all sorts of events coming from them through out the school year. Here are some fun events they have going on this week: Exchange for Change and Midnight Mayhem. They are also hard at planning for the Spring Concert with Sage the Gemini.

ASCLUG wants to positively represent the voice of students at Cal Lu while providing a safe and great environment for the student body.

ASCLUG has a few goals they hope to accomplish. “We hope to pose a greater presence on campus this year,” says sophomore Programs Board representative, Andres Elvira, “We want students to feel comfortable to express concerns and and inform us of ways to better their campus experience.”

This year, ASCLUG is working very hard on transparency. “Personally, this was my goal for Spring Concert,” ASCLU Recorder Kianna Parker says, “I worked with Amber Trujillo to have students vote for who they wanted to see instead of just having ASCLUG members choose. I felt that if students were a part of the entire process, then they would feel more invested in the event. We had a really large voter turnout and we were able to book the artist who had the most votes which was a really great feeling.”

Want to find out more about ASCLUG? Go visit their facebook page to stay updated on all things ASCLUG. And don’t forget to stop by for them Forum on Monday November 16 from 6pm – 8pm!

*Photo Credit to Michael Hernandez, Daniel Lacey, Andres Elvira and ASCLUG.

Victoria Lahney

Cal Lutheran

Victoria is a sophomore at California Lutheran University, studying Interdisciplinary Educational Studies to become a teacher. You can catch her around campus hanging out with her Peer Students, dancing at Zumba, volunteering at a local elementary school, or writing for her personal blog "Tori in Thousand Oaks." She is a part of the writing team, event planning team and Ask Gumby.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!