Advice for Freshmen around Upperclassmen and Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Recently coming from high school into college will remind college freshmen of the word “senioritis”, which is commonly used to describe a senior in high school who becomes lazy or inactive with the exuse of being a senior and about to graduate. But let’s not talk about high school anymore!

Typically when a freshmen sees a college senior on campus they are either amazed or distant depending on the size of the school. Here at Cal Lutheran, however, most freshmen feel mutual towards upperclassmen and seniors. But here comes the big picture and top concern: Why is there rare communication between a freshmen student and an upperclassmen on campus when claiming that there is a mutual feeling?

The common reason why many freshmen are distant from upperclassmen and seniors is mostly because upperclassmen are much more familiar with every element of the college/university level, academically and socially. Unlike freshmen college students, upperclassmen are not only fully familiar with the university but also with all forms of academic load, pressure, demand,professor-one-on-one relationships, study habits, five to fifteen page papers etc. Yet, there is such a small chance for a freshmen to benefit and become surprised by something upperclassmen and seniors have left to be shared. Such as a special technique used when writing, preparing for a test, or even a secret that has helped him or her excel in their classes despite the college-related “gap” between each other.

So the biggest advice for freshmen is to not feel nervous nor have doubt if you have a sense of association with upperclassmen and seniors in your university. We are all pursuing the same things: an undergraduate degree, graduation, success, and an amazing experience. In college, seniors are NOT lazy as there are higher expectations coming from an instructor. Nor are seniors inactive because they are classified as a “senior.” Instead, they are open to freshmen either to have a simple conversation about anything (even a random conversation), advice, or to learn something highly interesting from one another. Yes, it is not noticeable at first glance but who knows what a simple word, wave, and smile can lead to.

Gwennie McInnes, a freshmen at Mount Clef Hall says, “a senior does have more experience and knowledge and I feel like they, like one in my class, consider a class easier for them than it is for us because they have the skill set, but overall I feel mutual towards them.” Like Gwennie, many freshmen acknowledge that the more years in college, the more experience, but prove feeling mutual with them.

Here at CLU, everyone is indeed focused on their studies, research papers, and more when walking in and out of Starbucks and across the bookstore, giving the impression that upperclassmen are not interested in socializing. Take a chance and remember that our university is a fond community. The worst that can happen is for a junior or senior to say they are busy. Let photographers on campus capture an interaction, or even better, friendship between a freshman and upperclassman more often.

Mayra Favela

Cal Lutheran

I'm a sophomore student at CLU graduating class of 2019 and I am passionately studying law and public policy. I enjoy being a contributing member of Her Campus in any simple way and admire the empowerment women give to each other in this community. I will definitely admire my intellectual growth as a woman in both her campus and in the legal field for years to come.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!