yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

8 Reasons Why Halloween is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Let’s just jump right into it, shall we?

1. Costumes

This is the one day you can dress up as anything you desire, then again, you can always do that if you please, but wearing a costume on Halloween makes it more special. Your options are endless! Dressing up in the spirit of Halloween never grows old and it is fun to see kids all the way up to grandparents dressed head to toe in some awesome disguise.

Image courtesy of Pinterest

2. Pumpkins

Literally pumpkin everything! Pumpkin patches, pumpkin carving, pumpkin spice lattes (cliché, I know), pumpkin pie…I think you get what I am saying. Cheers to a month where orange becomes the new black and you have a reason to create, eat, and even wear pumpkin anything.

3. Candy

Remember when your parents specifically limited the amount of candy you could eat to 3 pieces, maybe 5 if they were in a good mood? Well, don’t worry about that anymore. You’re in college with no parental supervision. Go trick or treating if you please or satisfy your sweet cravings and buy as much candy as you want (hint: candy goes on sale after Halloween).

Image courtesy of Living on the Cheap

4. Universality

Halloween is a day anyone can celebrate. It’s not only meant for certain people. Dress up, go out, and have fun! It’s only once a year!

5. Decorations

There should be much appreciation for the people who go all out to decorate every square inch of their home, front lawn included! It’s almost like you’ll be entering a haunted house, but really it’s just people who love Halloween and want to share that with the community. Just like Christmas has Candy Cane Lane, there should be a Halloween Lane too.

Image courtesy of Lil Luna

6. Movies

If you don’t enjoy Halloween movies, we need to sit down and have a chat. There are so many amazing classics like Hocus Pocus, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Halloweentown and more that are bound to put you in the Halloween spirit.

7. Haunted Houses

It’s weird how scared some people are of haunted houses, yet they still want to go through them. I am one of those people. If you’re feeling bold, it’s definitely worth handing over a few bucks to have a good fright at some of the well-known houses.

Image courtesy of CNN

8. Costume parties

Halloween parties are the best types of parties, 1) because it is themed, and 2) no one will care about what you are wearing. You won’t feel judged and it is great to see what other people dressed up as.

If these reasons aren’t enough to prove that Halloween is one of the best holidays, then I don’t know what is. Make it special for a change. Create your own costume this year, or change it up and give out candy instead of trick or treating. Add some fun decorations to your house or dorm room too. You won’t regret it!

Have a happy Halloween!

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!