This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

October is breast cancer awareness month. As you know, mammograms are an important screening test to get done to help detect early signs of breast cancer. However, there are also self-exams that can be done by ourselves in the comfort of our homes! 

1. When you are in the shower, use your three middle fingers to feel your armpit and breast areas for any lumps or anything that feels irregular in your breasts. 
  2. In front of your mirror, look at your breasts for any abnormalities such as any swelling or dimpling of your skin. Also look for any changes in your nipples. 
  3. When you are laying down, you can place a pillow under the arm of the breast you will examine. Extend your arm up to the back of your head and with your opposite hand feel all over your breast and armpit area for lumps or anything out of the ordinary. Make sure to also squeeze the nipple for discharge. 

More information of self-exams can be found here: https://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-self-exam

Lets remember to take care of our bodies ladies. 

My name is Wendy and I am a Sociology and Spanish major at California Lutheran University. I have lived in Ventura County all my life, making me a huge fan of the beach. I love to read on my down time, spend time with friends and workout. My love for writing began during quarantine where I found it to be a great way to express myself! I hope you enjoy my articles!