This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Hanukkah (December 6-14)

This eight-day Jewish holiday (also known as the Feast of Dedication or the Festival of Lights) celebrates the Maccabean Revolt when the Jewish people reclaimed and rededicated their holy temple from the Seleucid Empire. Each night, a candle is lit on the hanukiah (a nine-branched candelabrum, with one branch for each of the eight evenings and the ninth holding the shamash with which the others are lit). One common activity during this time of togetherness and celebration is playing dreidel — a game played with a special top used to win coins (real, fake, or chocolate), food, or other tokens.

Bodhi Day (December 8)

This Buddhist holiday honors the day that Siddhartha Gautauma (the historical Buddha) experienced enlightenment. As he identified the root of his suffering (and, subsequently, how to free himself from it) through meditation, much of the celebration of this day is practiced in the form of meditation or can include reading or chanting passages.

Human Rights Day (December 10)

On December 10, 1948, the United Nations General Assembly formally adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Today, as we continue to advocate for human rights for all people, this day serves as both a call for action and day of reflection. Many political leaders gather for conferences on this day specifically to discuss human rights.

Mawlid al-Nabi (December 23-28)

This Muslim holiday celebrates the birth of the prophet Muhammed for many denominations of Islam! 2015 is actually one of the rare years when Mawlid comes twice a year [on the Gregorian calendar that is] due to the previous celebration happening in January. In many places, this Mawlid is celebrated with food and carnival-like festivities. Additional traditions include poetry recitation and giving to charity.

Christmas (December 25)

Christmas is a holiday heavily tied to the Christian celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ with additional roots and offshoots tied with secular culture. Christmas celebrations vary around the world, but a common theme seen today is the exchanging and presentation of gifts. If you’ve been to the United States during November or December, you’ve probably been introduced to the common decorations [and marketing] that mark the “Christmas season” and have at least some idea of its place in popular American culture.

Kwanzaa (December 26-January 1)

About 50 years ago, celebrations of Kwanzaa began to gain popularity with the rise of the Black nationalist movement in America. Kwanzaa serves as a celebration of the “seven principles of African Heritage”. Symbols of the holiday include colorful [predominantly black, red, and green] garments and decorations as well as symbols of plentiful harvest such as corn. Often, Kwanzaa is celebrated in addition to other practices of faith for African-Americans. Although predominantly celebrated in the USA, Kwanzaa observation is also spreading to other countries in the Western African diaspora.

(image courtesy of www.officialkwanzaawebsite.org)

So, what and how are you celebrating? Let us know!
Kyle Mueting

Cal Lutheran

Student, activist, and cereal enthusiast. This is Kyle's first semester writing for Her Campus.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!