This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Do you struggle over summer to keep your hair from drying out? Are you a beach bum or do you spend most of your time poolside? Have you ever wished for those summer highlights? Here are 5 great tips to help you through those summer months!

1. Wide-Brim Hats

Wide-brim hats have become largely popular in the fashion industry. Not only do they tie together any summer outfit, they also offer protection from harmful UV rays, both for your hair and you face! Wearing one can help prevent constant sun exposure from drying out your hair, which minimizes split ends and frizz.

2. Suds Up!

During summer, the temperatures go up, and so does oil production in your hair, especially when you get sweaty. You should wash your hair more often during the summer months in order to avoid this. If you’re worried about your tips drying out, you can put conditioner only on the lower portion of your hair, or use dry shampoo as a substitute. Remember, your hair gets dirty just as fast as the rest of you, so when you’re out during the summer months, it needs a little more TLC!

3. Poolside Protection

When temperatures rise, a lot of people take to the water to cool down. In public pools especially, chlorine counts are enormous, and can dry out and damage your hair. In order to avoid this, rinse your hair thoroughly before jumping in. Your hair holds a limited amount of liquid and soaks up whatever it is introduced to first. Wetting your hair before getting in the pool prevents it from soaking up more of the harmful chlorine.

4. When Life Hands You Lemons…

Use them! Running lemon juice through your hair before sitting out in the sun can provide highlights, but this works best with hair that is already light. If you have dark hair, be careful, because sometimes the results can be a little on the orange side. Using a lemon juice rinse can also remove build-up around your scalp left behind by hair products, like dry shampoo or leave-in conditioners, and minimizes the amount of natural oils that otherwise can make your roots greasy.

5. Got Frizz?

If your hair is frizzy, there are several options that take a more natural route than brand-name products. You can rinse your hair with several cups of carbonated water after a shower, which helps control frizz with its low Ph level. Combing coconut oil or olive oil through your hair also helps with frizz control and gives it a glamorous shine as well. Lastly, you can try combing in a mixture of raw egg whites, olive oil, and lemon to help tame the mane. All of these things can be bought at your local grocery or convenience store for low prices.

Following these steps will help you keep your hair healthy through the long, hot summer months. Have a lovely summer!

Nikki Page

Cal Lutheran

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!