This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

After a stressful school semester, I like to unwind from my busy workload by immersing myself in between the pages of a good book or two. And recently because of the pandemic, I decided to start a book club amongst my friends, so we could share our thoughts on our shared reads. I originally thought the book club would only be for Summer 2020, but since I brought it back this summer, here are some of my favorite reads that I recommend you should read next:

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno- Garcia

If you like Gothic and Thrillers, this will be up your alley! This one follows the protagonist as she goes to help her cousin, who is suffering from delusions at her husband’s family house, and everything isn’t like it seems. I would highly recommend reading this in October, as it gave me all of the creeps- though I wouldn’t recommend reading this one before bed though, as some parts are genuinely weird. Read it at your own risk though!

The Kingdom of Back by Marie Lu

If fantasy and historical fiction are more your genre types, this should be your next read. This book follows the child prodigy, Nannerl Mozart, as she makes a wish to be remembered, and a fae creature agrees to grant her wish for a price. This novel does a great job of blending historical fiction and fantasy, and similarly to Mexican Gothic, it will keep you on your toes towards the end.

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

Again in the historical fiction department, this is the perfect book to curl up with a cozy blanket and read on a rainy day in September. This novel is about a girl who wants to live a life completely free of anyone, and the caveat is that no one remembers her. Until one day a stranger in a bookshop remembers her. If you love historical fiction and fantasy, add this to your reading list, and make sure you have some tissues nearby for the ending.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Do you like the ‘found family’ trope? Science fiction space operas? Then you should definitely make this your next read. This book is one of my favorites to read over the summer, as each of the characters is well developed and the storyline is fast-paced and fun. The story follows Rosemary Harper as she is a new secretary aboard the Wayfarer- a ship whose job is to punch traveling holes through points in space. This is a lighthearted read, with fantastic representation in it as well, so be sure to check it out in between homework assignments and classes.

These are just a few of my recommendations for you to check out, so if you have some free time in between classes, be sure to head to the library to find my fiction favorites on the shelves.

Alex Warrender

Cal Lutheran '23

Hello, my name is Alex, and I'm the Senior Writing and Editing Director for the Cal Lutheran University chapter. I’m a senior Psychology Major who loves to devour books and write poetry in my spare time. I also love to play D&D and go thrifting when I can.