This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

If you’re like me, you love romantic movies. Regardless of your current relationship status, there’s something about watching two people fall in love and navigate the waters that come with any type of emotion. Here are 10 movies you should add to your ‘must watch’ list this Valentine’s Day!

1. Titanic:How can you talk about tragic romances and not mention this classic?  We all know the story of the ill-fated Jack and Rose, her being upper-class, him being lower class and their love prevailing over the devastating circumstances that affect their passage to the land of opportunity. Everyone usually watches this movie for the fictional romance (yes, Jack and Rose were not actual passengers of the Titanic), but the central element of the film is the true sorrowful aspect of it. The two literally have to let go by disjoining their frozen hands, while slowly dying out in the Atlantic Ocean. All with the sinking of the RMS Titanic and its thousands of passengers in the background – not to mention Celine Dion’s soundtrack. Also: Leonardo DiCaprio, enough said. 

2. The Notebook:If you hear the names Noah and Allie in the same sentence, you know what’s about to go down. The Notebook is one of the most known of all the tragic, heartbreaking, and just straight up sad romance films. One out of a very long list of depressing romance novels penned by Nicholas Sparks (srsly, does he love making people sad??), to make it to the big screen, this one guarantees tears. Watching Noah and Allie’s story play out, as told by an older man to his female companion, is gloomy enough, until we discover that he is the older Noah, trying to bring his love out of her dementia and remember him. This film is an emotional rollercoaster, but totally worth the ride. You realize what love truly is, and how far one will go to fight for it. And you get to watch Ryan Gosling too, so extra bonus. 

3. Dirty Dancing:Dirty Dancing gave us major doses of Patrick Swayze’s sexiness and his moves, but of course he also delivered one of the most iconic lines of all time: “No one puts Baby in a corner.”

4. Gone with the Wind:Gone with the Wind is a whirlwind classic, with passion, devastating loss and scandal. Based on the 1936 novel by Margaret Mitchell, the epic Civil War period piece is nearly four hours long. Plan ahead if you have any dinner reservations.

5. 10 Things I Hate About YouThis 1999 classic hits all the different types of relationships and makes you fall in love with Heath Ledger all over again. Perfect for a night in with the girls on this holiday.

6. Breakfast at Tiffany’s:This movie is so much more than a romance; it’s iconic. It’s the movie that created the Little Black Dress. Audrey Hepburn is radiant and just a little messy, like all of us. To this main character, we can relate.

7. Romeo + Juliet:There’s never been a more tragic love story told than Shakespeare’s tale of two star-crossed teenage lovers, ruined by family feud and fate. It’s only the most iconic love story of all time.

8. Pretty in Pink:Quirky-cool Andie has to choose between her longtime BFF Duckie, who’s madly in love with her, and the rich kid Blane. In the grand tradition of the best romantic comedies, there’s a triumphant prom scene and an iconic ‘80s pink dress.

9. A Walk to Remember:Another Nicholas Sparks classic that will make you cry! This movie will give your heart the biggest attack as it pulls on all your feelings, crushes them to little pieces, and then puts them back together with Scotch tape. This story follows Landon Carter, a high school senior who’s constantly up to no good. While serving his sentence, he spars with his unpopular classmate Jamie Sullivan, played by Mandy Moore, who’s determined to make him see the good in the world. Then the love begins to flow, and you fall in love with the characters and their love for each other. You think everything is great, until the plot twists, crumbling your heart into pieces. As the end comes to a close, your heart is back into one piece. I recommend this movie if you want to cry out a few years of held-back tears because you will actually cry out a few buckets. But this movie is one to remember as one of Sparks’s greatest and will teach you that love can be kept in your memories forever.

10. (500) Days of Summer:What if a love story started at the end and worked its way to the beginning? Then, you would have this ill-fated love story that stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. The characters are lovable and relatable. (500) Days of Summer isn’t your traditional romantic comedy, and that’s definitely a good thing. Unlike all the others, it’s a realistic film about love.

I hope you enjoy the list! I don’t recommend a marathon due to the heart-wrenching content of all these films, but gather up your girls or your s.o., grab some candy and snacks, break out the box of tissues, and watch away!

Happy watching!

All images courtesy of Tumblr.com

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!