What Can 20 Minutes Do?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

Things are always so go, go, go these days. This is especially true during the college years. With running around day in and day out, it’s not hard to lose sight of yourself. It’s not hard to become so absorbed in each day’s tasks that we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves.

I set aside 20 minutes a day for a week to see if anything would happen. I had once heard that spending 20 minutes with yourself has dramatic advantages: decreased stress levels, increased mood, better focus, etc. Spending just 20 minutes a day to feel all-around better, that’s something definitely worth trying.

Day one was rather uncomfortable. I can’t remember the last time I spent time for myself. I ended up spending most of the time trying to figure out what to do.

Day two I was prepared. I had done some research ahead of time. I went on Pinterest and looked at the hundred-some DIY crafts I pinned. It’s all too common that I pin all these crafts and never take the time to do anything. So, on day two I spent 20 minutes working on a Pinterest craft.

Day three I started feeling the effects of these 20 minutes. I had woken up in a much better mood. This happiness and higher energy had lasted throughout the day.

By day four, this unnatural time for myself had become a part of my everyday life. Taking this time to become reacquainted with myself has actually bettered me. My mood remained at an all-time high, I was able to get my assignments done much easier and I found myself being more social.

On day five, everything came full-circle. Just about everything I had read about doing this experiment came true. My stress levels were at a low (for it being the end of the semester at least), my mood was much, much higher, I was able to focus on what needed to be done each day and even found myself wanting to be around others and others wanting to be around me.

Giving myself 20 minutes to do whatever I want each day will most definitely become a part of my daily routine. In such a fast-paced society, everyone should take time to do whatever makes them happy. If something as simple as setting 20 minutes a day aside can improve your overall well-being, it’s completely worth it.

I'm a huge lover of writing! As long as I can remember I've been writing. Through lived experiences and my writing I hope to make an impact on the world.
Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.