This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

October 31: We dressed up. We got candy. We went out. We passed out.

November 1: Okay, joke’s over. Bring out the Christmas decorations?

Why is it that as soon as we hit the first day of November, we tend to think that it is time to celebrate the holiday season?

Each year, Christmas comes earlier and earlier. How soon is too soon to see Christmas lights strung around Macy’s and Santa sitting in the middle of the mall?

During the month of November, many start to get into the Christmas spirit. Christmas music is blasted, lights are hung and peppermint spice lattes from Starbucks are consumed.

Is November 1 too soon for the beloved coffee shop to bring out the red cups?

Often, we forget that November is home to one of the best holidays of the year—Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is a time to be with family, eat delicious food and, above all, be thankful. Although we should be thankful year round, why can’t we take the time to appreciate Thanksgiving and all that it stands for?

During November, the leaves are changing, the air is getting brisk and beautiful shades of red, orange and yellow leaves silhouette the ground. Christmas should not be celebrated so soon.

Snow is normally not even in the forecast for another month from November. Why is it that autumn is not normally appreciated for what it is and we start wishing for snow instead?

Thanksgiving stands for gratitude and if we’re thankful for something, it’s being able to have time off in November in the midst of the post-midpoint stress—so bring on the turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie. We cannot forget about the celebration of the Pilgrims in 1621 that brought forth a bountiful feast.

So, before you go drinking your holiday drinks or blasting Christmas music in the car, take time to remember that Thanksgiving is about being thankful…and we truly have so much to be thankful for.

Jill Nawoyski is a junior at Cabrini College double majoring in Digital Communications & Social Media and Business Marketing that hails from South Jersey. Jill is currently the Editor in Chief of Cabrini's newspaper, The Loquitur, and spends most of her time in the newsroom. Jill is a lover of the beach, quotes, Marnie the Dog and french fries. In the future, Jill would love to continue her education in graduate school, spend the rest of her life telling stories that matter (either in video or writing) and start a non-profit for youth homelessness. Jill is a firm believer in the fact that the ocean (and Chipotle) can change lives.. And that a third cup of coffee never hurts.
Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.