Spring Musical Cast Spotlight: Samantha Murray

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

Name: Samantha Murray

Year: Junior

Major: History and English with a political science and theatre minor

Activities: Student Ambassador, Classroom Coach, Member of the Body Image Coalition, Treasurer of Alpha Psi Omega, Cabrini Theatre

Favorites:

Color: Purple

Food: Steak

Book:  Pride and Prejudice

Musical: Gypsy and Hamilton

Actor: Darren Criss

Role you’ve ever played: Penny Sycamore in You Can’t Take It With You

What is your role in “How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying”? Can you talk a little bit about it?

I play Miss. Jones in How to Succeed. She serves as Mr. Biggley’s secretary, who is the president of the World Wide Wicket Company. Because of this, my character is considered the head secretary of the company. She’s cold, mean and has no time for nonsense.  She’s a lot of fun to play, and I get to be in arguably one of the best numbers in the entire show. It’s just me and all the men in the cast, so it’s really exciting.

What are you most excited about for opening night?

I love the energy that comes with opening night. After months of rehearsing with no audience in front of us, we finally get to put the whole show together. Getting applause and hearing an audience’s laughter during scenes is one of the greatest feelings in the world. The cast feeds off of the audience, and opening night is always one of the best during the run.

Have you always been interested in theater? What’s your journey been to the Cabrini stage?

I’ve been involved in theatre since I was 10. I participated in a summer theatre program near my house until I was a senior in high school. During high school I was in shows and was involved with our tech crew/box office staff. I was also on our Drama Board, so needless to say theatre has played a huge part of my life. Going into college, I knew I wanted a way to get involved in theatre without necessarily majoring in it. When looking at Cabrini as a college, I took note immediately of their theatre program, but it wasn’t until I was able to talk to now alumni Alyssa Reape and Josh Muska my senior year that I really felt like I could be a part of such an incredible program.  I auditioned for the fall show my freshman year, and have been performing in our space ever since.

What’s the most challenging part of being involved in theater?

Definitely time management. Anyone who has put on or been in a production before can vouch for me when I say the theatre is a huge commitment. Rehearsals run every week for three days and most weekends. Once we enter tech, the rehearsals become even more frequent. For me, having to work in time to write essays for my major classes, work on my capstone and make time to work in admissions and classroom coach for two different professors has been challenging. However, it’s always worth it and the work always gets done. Even though it’s a challenge, I wouldn’t change any of it for the world.

And the most fun?

Working with the cast. This show in particular is made up of a majority of new students, whether they’re freshman, transfers or decided to come out at audition. Because of this, our cast has become incredibly close. We always joke around before and after rehearsal, and we all end up hanging out outside of the theatre way more than we spend inside it. Not only have I had the privilege of working with such talented individuals, I can easily say people in this cast have become some of my closest friends.

Personally, what’s the best part about being an actor, especially one that performs live?

I think the best part of performing live is getting to feed off of the energy of the people around us, and the audience. When the audience is good, the show becomes even more fun to put on because the cast knows which jokes will land and which numbers will blow everyone away. It’s so much fun getting on stage and working side by side with such talented people. For eight shows I get to do what I love with a group of students I am so proud to share the stage with. There is no better feeling in the world than that.

Who are your biggest influences?

I have many influences in the theatre realm. At Cabrini, my director, Kait Finegan, has been a huge influence on my time here. She took over the position and, in a year, brought new life into our tiny space. We’re now doing shows we never thought were possible, and she has given me incredible opportunities that I never imagined would happen. In the Broadway world, my biggest inspirations are definitely Patti Lupone, Bette Midler and Carol Burnett. They are Broadway queens who have all played roles I would love to tackle myself. They’re legends, and my idols on stage.

If you could play any role in musical history, who would you play? Why?

Okay, having to pick just one role is the biggest challenge ever. If I had to narrow my list, I would say my dream role would be Mama Rose in Gypsy. She’s this overbearing stage mother who stops at nothing to get her two daughters into show business. Rose has some of the most iconic musical numbers in Broadway history, and have been played by such legends as Patti Lupone, Bernadette Peters and Ethel Merman. Rose would easily be a huge challenge to perform, but she would be a lot of fun too.

What advice would you give to anyone who wants to become involved in theater?

Always go for it. Never think you’re not good enough to audition or make a show. Sing loud, dance your heart out, act without fear and love what you do no matter what.

Photo taken by Theresa Paesani

Deanna is a junior majoring in English with a minor in Psychology at Cabrini College. She is an active member of Cabrini’s Dance Team, a lover of dessert, and a huge fan of the TV show, Survivor.
Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.