Spring Musical Cast Spotlight: David Bothwell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

Name: David Bothwell

Year: Sophomore

Major: History and English

Activities: Theater

Favorites:

Color: Blue

Food: Hamburger

Book: The Ranger’s Apprentice Series

Musical: “Lucky Stiff”

Actor: Don’t really have one

Role you’ve ever played: The corpse of Anthony Hendon in “Lucky Stiff”

What is your role in “How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying”? Can you talk a little bit about it?

I play a few minor roles in “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.” I’d have to say the most crucial of these roles has to be Mr. Benjamin Burton Daniel Ovington, who gets hired by the World Wide Wicket Company to serve as the Vice President of the Advertising Department. This, of course, interferes with the hero’s plans. Anything more, I can’t tell you.

What are you most excited about for opening night?

The entire cast and crew has been working our butts off to get ready for this show, and it’s going to be great to see it all come together on opening night.

Have you always been interested in theater? What’s your journey been to the Cabrini stage?

Honestly, until senior year of high school, I never really paid much attention to theater. I had been a member of stage crew when I was in middle school, but that was really the extent of my involvement with theater. Then, I auditioned for my high school’s musical in my senior year, and loved it. When I got to Cabrini, I decided I would audition again, and, lo and behold, I got parts in both the play and musical. Now I’m here, and that’s that. 

What’s the most challenging part of being involved in theater?

I’ve got to say, theater is time consuming and stressful, especially during tech week and the dress rehearsals. Not to say I don’t love working with the theater, just that it is a huge challenge to juggle theater and work.

And the most fun?

To me, at least, it is awesome to see a show come together around you, and to do it with a company full of the most eccentric and goofy personalities I have ever seen.

Personally, what’s the best part about being an actor, especially one that performs live?

The greatest part of being an actor is getting to entertain the audiences that come to see you. It’s amazing to hear an audience react to your part and know that you’re doing your job, and making people happy because of it.

Who are your biggest influences?

I’d have to say that my biggest influence has actually been my little sister, Regina. She was the first member of my family to act in shows, and if it wasn’t for the fact that I had to drive her to and from auditions at our high school, I probably never would have gotten involved.

If you could play any role in musical history, who would it be? Why?

You know, I’m not actually all that into musical theater; it’s just not my cup of tea, so I haven’t seen very many shows. Honestly, I couldn’t really say.       

What advice would you give to anyone who wants to become involved in theater?

Just go for it. It doesn’t matter if you don’t think you’re the best actor or singer. Theater companies love it when people show interest. Heck, even if you don’t get casted, theater groups are always looking for help with the behind-the-scenes crew. And, believe me, even that’s pretty satisfying in its own right. Whatever you want to do in theater, just remember to jump in with both feet, and just have fun because honestly, if you’re not having fun, then why do it?

Photo taken by Theresa Paesani

Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.