Spring Musical Cast Spotlight: Alyssa Massarella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

Name: Alyssa Massarella

Year: Sophomore

Major: Communication

Activities: Theatre, Student Ambassador

Favorites:

Color: Turquoise 

Food: Mozzarella Sticks

Book: I don’t read

Musical: Godspell, Wicked and Next to Normal

Actor: Aaron Tveit 

Role you’ve ever played: Leading Player in Pippin

What is your role in “How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying”? Can you talk a little bit about it?

My character’s name is Rosemary Pilkington and she’s a secretary at World Wide Wickets. She falls in love with the show’s protagonist, Finch. The second she sees him, she immediately starts to plan their life together. Rosemary is driven, smart and upbeat and I really love playing her!

What are you most excited about for opening night?

I just love having an audience in front of me! I’m excited to see their reactions to the show’s jokes and I’m also excited to meet the cast’s families!

Have you always been interested in theater? What’s your journey been to the Cabrini stage?

I’ve been singing and dancing since I was 3 years old but I didn’t start acting until eighth grade. I performed in eight shows in high school and I knew it was something I wanted to continue in college. I started at a community college and performed there knowing I’d eventually end up here. I got ahead in my classes and ended up graduating a semester early, which is why I’m here now. It’s so weird to think that I could’ve not been in this show, let alone at this school!

What’s the most challenging part of being involved in theater?

The hardest part for me is how many things I need to be thinking about at once. I can be onstage doing a scene but as I’m doing it, I’m thinking about my blocking and my lines and what’s coming next. I’m also very hard on myself so any slip ups I have during rehearsals can stress me out, but it’s totally worth it!

And the most fun?

Aside from doing what I love, I love the people. I’ve been so blessed this semester with everyone being so welcoming! They’re a great bunch. 

Personally, what’s the best part about being an actor, especially one that performs live?

I’m able to think on my feet. Outside of performing, I’ve taught children’s acting classes and they helped me be able to be quick on my feet for something as simple as giving presentations for a class. It’s also made me comfortable in front of crowds.

Who are your biggest influences?

My grandmother was a dancer so I always dedicate my opening night performances to her. She was on bandstand and she was really talented. She’s someone I’m very inspired by.

If you could play any role in musical history, who would you play? Why?

Aida (in Aida) has been my dream role for a very long time now. The story and music from the show are really incredible. Aida is a princess who becomes a slave for her rival country. Through all of it, she is strong, passionate and loving and she is by far my favorite role ever.

What advice would you give to anyone who wants to become involved in theater?

Go for it! It’s a ton of fun. Just know, however, that once you start, you really can’t stop. 

Photo taken by Theresa Paesani

Deanna is a junior majoring in English with a minor in Psychology at Cabrini College. She is an active member of Cabrini’s Dance Team, a lover of dessert, and a huge fan of the TV show, Survivor.
Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.