This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

Editor’s Note: I am by no means an expert in makeup. I am very simplistic and tend to go more for the natural looks rather than anything dramatic. You will also notice I only used one product: e.l.f. Cosmetics. Since I don’t often wear makeup, I prefer this company because just about everything is under $6. They also frequently have BOGO sales on their website, which sweetens the deal. There is no contouring, doing eyebrows, cat eyeliner or fake eye lashes in this tutorial. Consider it a beginner’s guide to spring makeup.

With spring just around the corner and the weather constantly changing, there’s a lot a girl has to think about. You need to change your entire wardrobe to accommodate the warmer weather and lighter colors of spring. Hairstyles need to match the nicer attire that is worn this time of year. And, of course, you can’t forget about your makeup. Those darker colors just won’t cut it anymore. To help you not get stuck without perfect makeup this spring, here’s a quick guide on what to wear.

When doing my makeup, I always start with my face. Note: the first two steps are optional. To start, I added a bit of concealer under my eyes just to correct any discoloration or dark circles. For this, I used e.l.f. Cosmetic’s HD Lifting Concealer in Brightening. I used my finger to blend this in. This just lightens your skin a bit to leave you looking a bit more refreshed.

Next, I added the Poreless Face Primer to my nose area. I have fairly large pores on my nose and on either side. This primer helps to cover up any pores or wrinkles on your face. If that is an issue for you, you can apply to any area of concern.

When it comes to applying foundation, I’ve never really been a fan of liquid foundation. From past experiences I learned it often has an unpleasant smell and leaves me feeling that if anything touches my face, it would rub off. With that being said, I used the Mineral Pearl Foundation in Natural. When using powder foundation, make sure to always tap your brush to remove any excess powder. If you skip this step, you may end up with darker or lighter spots. Apply foundation all over your face.

To finish up with applying face makeup, I added blush in Tickled Pink. I usually add it to the apples of my cheeks, but will brush a little back to my hairline to avoid the clown-like circles. And with those quick and easy steps, you have an even more flawless face than you did to begin with.

Next, let’s start with the eyes. I always like to add a bit of eyelid primer before anything else. If you have multi-colored eyelids, this help to even the color out. This will also ensure that your eyeshadow will stick around throughout the day. I used the Eyelid Primer in Sheer. Once blended along the eyelid and up to the brow bone, the sheer dries skin color.

When applying eyeshadow you want to make sure you build it up by using layers. I usually use three different colors that I apply to three different areas to make my eyes pop. I snagged the Little Black Beauty Book from Target for $10. This came with 48 different eyeshadow colors and two different brushes.

I started by applying color one to my entire eyelid. Sometimes when the eyeshadow is in a set like this it is very tightly compacted. You may need to go in multiple times to achieve the color you’re looking for. Once satisfied with the base color, I went in with color two. This is the darkest of colors so make sure you add it slowly. Add a bit to the crease to add depth to your eyes. About ¾ into the eyelid, from the corner, start adding the darker shade and feather outward.

To finish up with eyeshadow, take color three and add that to your brow bone. By adding a light color to the brow bone, it lightens up the overall color of the eyeshadow. This is also great if the eyeshadow is too dark in the crease. Just go in with the lightest shadow and blend.

Now onto eyeliner. I am, for the most part, eyeliner challenged. Although I love the look of the cat eye, as much as I try I can never achieve it. So, giving into defeat just a bit, I stick with a simple eyeliner along my upper lashline and waterline on the bottom. For the eyeliner, I used e.l.f.’s Expert Liquid Liner in Midnight. Usually I’ll use black eyeliner, but the midnight is just a bit softer and perfect for a natural spring look.

Starting at the corner of your eye, apply a thin line along your lash line. Work your way out until you reach the outer edge of your eye. If you have mastered the cat eye, you can continue to line and shape. If you’re like me, however, it’s best to silently be jealous of those who are eyeliner skilled.

Depending on how thick you like the eyeliner, you can go back and add more. Always start with a thin line and work your way up from there. Apply eyeliner to the waterline on the bottom lashes to finish up the eyeliner look.

If there’s one makeup product I can’t live without, it’s mascara. I love, love, love mascara. I used the Mineral Infused Mascara in Black. To achieve the length, shape and boldness of my lashes I went over two or three times with the mascara. Just a heads up, this mascara is not waterproof. I found that out after washing my face. I came out looking like a member of the Black Parade.

To completely finish the spring makeup look, I went in with the Luscious Liquid Lipstick in Raspberry. This adds a bit more color to the lips and some shimmer.

Just like that, your makeup is complete. This took less than 10 minutes to do; it cost around $30 to purchase all the products. For living on a college budget that may sound like a lot. After comparing the cost to other companies like Ulta, however, similar foundation itself starts at $25.

Hopefully this guide helps to steer you in the right direction when it comes to dusting off those more pastel-colored beauty products. Have a wonderful spring, beauties!

I'm a huge lover of writing! As long as I can remember I've been writing. Through lived experiences and my writing I hope to make an impact on the world.
Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.