Helen Keller: Living In the Dark So That Others Might See the Light

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

When I was in the third grade, my class had to do a project on an influential person in history. I was given Helen Keller. I remember sitting in my living room at home reading a little book about her life and how she overcame her disabilities of being both blind and deaf.

Keller was born on June 27, 1880 in Tuscumbia, Alabama. Due to an illness called “brain fever” at the age of 2, Keller became blind, deaf and mute. While the true name of her illness is still unknown, it is believed to have possibly been scarlet fever or meningitis. Keller’s mother knew that something was wrong when she made no reaction to when it was time for dinner or when someone waved their hand in front of her.

Keller was 6 when she was introduced to her teacher Anne Sullivan, who helped her progress and communicate in different ways. It started with simply spelling words out with her fingers. Frustrated, Keller threw tantrums and was defiant to her new teacher’s instruction.

After a time of minimal progress, Sullivan thought it would be best if her pupil was isolated from her family so she could concentrate. Keller and Sullivan were moved to a small cottage on the Keller property.

The biggest breakthrough in their relationship was when Keller learned the word “water.” It seems like such a simple thing that most of the world takes for granted, but was a milestone for her.

In 1890, Keller began speech class so that she would be able to communicate better with others. It took her 25 years of hard work and dedication for others to understand her.

Despite her disabilities, Keller was determined to attend college. In 1896 she attended the Cambridge School for Young Ladies. She later attended Radcliffe College after meeting Mark Twain’s friend Henry H. Rogers who was an executive of Standard Oil.

When she was 21, with the help of Sullivan, Keller wrote a book titled “The Story of My Life,” which was about her childhood and how she overcame her obstacles.

Later in her life, Keller became an activist and fought for women’s rights. She wanted to improve the lives of others. In 1920, she helped found the American Civil Liberties Union.

Keller taught me from a very young age to never give up and always try my hardest no matter how frustrated I get. In the beginning of her life she couldn’t see, hear or speak, but eventually she could communicate with others and change the world. She was a strong advocate for blind and disabled people.

She is proof that you can do anything as long as you put your mind to it and don’t give up. She worked hard to become educated and used her education to better the world.

Isn’t that the point of moving onto college? To gain knowledge and wisdom to help others? Yes, we are here to study a specific area of expertise, but within our majors we are given the tools to improve the lives of the less fortunate and better the world.

Sophomore Digital Communications and Social Media major at Cabrini College. I am involved in LOQtion video news and I am a staff writer for the Loquitur. @ashley_sierzega
Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.