A Breakup Letter to My Comfort Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

Dear Comfort Zone,

It’s not you, it’s me. I know, cliche, right?

You’ve been really good to me and I’ve reveled in having you around. You make me feel safe and comfortable. But as happy as you’ve made me, I think it’s time for us to go our separate ways.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. I’ve been away from you a few times, and those times have been really scary. Ultimately though, it’s felt really good, even rewarding to step away from you.

And that feeling of freedom, of relief, of pride in myself for doing something that terrified me is one that I want to be able to feel more often. It’s something that I want to have the potential to feel all the time. And I just can’t do that if I keep using you as my security blanket.

So, I think it’s time that I learn to live without you.

I’ve been thinking about the question “What if we stepped outside of our comfort zones?” And I think that if we all took the time to step out of our comfort zones, we would all ultimately be happy with the results. For a person to reach their full potential, they sometimes need to step away from what is safe and comfortable, and take a chance.

I don’t always do that. I like being safe, because I’m afraid of failure. I think people in general are like that, which is why comfort zones exist.

But to mine: I’m breaking up with you. At least for now. I want to try to live a more comfort zone-free life. I’ll miss you.

We can still be friends. Maybe.

Love,

Laura

Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.