Behind The Head: A Look From Inside Cabrini’s Cavalier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

Having a job while acting as a student can be difficult to balance for any college student; but what is it like having a job that you can’t even tell people about?

There are a select few students on campus whose jobs involve embodying the spirit of Cabrini as Calvin the Cavalier, Cabrini’s mascot. Those students go through the daily struggle of not being able to tell anyone about their double life.

One student, who shall be referred to as Calvin for the purpose of this interview, was willing to divulge some secrets about their life within the suit.

“The main thing that keeps me pumped is the excitement that people get from seeing Calvin on campus or at an event,” Calvin said. “No one knows who it is [in the suit] so I can be crazy and enthusiastic.”

While working as Calvin, the student can be exposed to extreme temperatures within the suit, especially throughout events during the warmer portions of the year. There is no cooling method within the suit.

Along with this, Calvin’s large head causes limited vision and makes walking an added effort. Calvin is often unable to do things like taking the stairs and running without added supervision.

Yet, with all of these limitations, each day Calvin is present he holds enthusiasm, energy and the ability to take over a crowd.

“It’s a great feeling because newer students especially like taking pictures with Calvin because they are truly excited and it’s amazing,” Calvin said.

Calvin loves the ability to fully take on the character that gets the school excited at various opportunities.

“There aren’t many rules besides the basic ones, like don’t tackle kids and have fun.”

Calvin is able to completely embrace the character because of the secrecy behind who embodies the suit. Just as a character in Disney World can’t reveal their identity, it would not have the same magical effect if people knew who was doing all of the crazy things the mascot does. For this reason, the students are willing to take on the extra work without any praise.

“I’m okay with not telling anyone that I’m Calvin because Calvin is his own person and I don’t want to ruin the mystery behind it for anyone,” Calvin said.

Cecelia is a sophomore Digital Communications and Social Media major at Cabrini College in Radnor, PA. In her free time between classes, she is the post production manager for LOQation, staff writer for Loquitur, radio co-host for WYBF, Student Government Senator, Alpha Lambda Delta president, and working three jobs. Cecelia loves the beach, movies, and Taco Bell. Her ultimate dream job would be to produce movies for Disney. For more info/ to see Cecelia's other work, go to: http://ceceliaheckman.wordpress.com
Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.