Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Culture > News

Your Stress-Free Guide to Planning for Next Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s now almost the middle of the spring semester, and that means it’s time to start planning for the fall. Many people dread it so much they just throw together some GenEds and move on. Others don’t know what classes to take next. Here are some things to think about when filling out your schedule for the next semester.

Gen Eds

Gen Eds are a fact of life in college. We all have to get them out of the way at some point. If you really want to knock them out as soon as possible, consider taking a class or two over the summer! You can take the class online from your college, or you can find a local community college or tech school that offers credits that transfer to your university. Meet with an advisor at your school that can help make sure you take the right course so that you will get the full credit when you come back in the fall. Just one summer class can help lighten your load down the road!

Study Abroad

Maybe seeing the same walls every day isn’t enough for you. Plenty of colleges offer study abroad programs to places like Spain, Italy, England, and more! This can give students hands-on cultural experiences while completing a few credits in a new city. Schools want their students to take this opportunity and will give out many scholarships to help pay for the once in a lifetime experience. Study abroad is an option every semester and even in the summer if that’s a better fit. It’s a unique way to learn about the world we live in.

Planning Ahead

If you’re anything like me, you spend quite a bit of time figuring out your college career. There is nothing wrong with that! In fact, it’ll make things easier when deciding what to take next. If you don’t want to plan out all four years as a freshman, just map out the next fall and spring semester. This way you will already know what you need to take and the number of hours you’re looking at. 

Don’t Be Afraid To Explore

Something I try to do every semester is to take one class that is not a requirement and have some fun! It acts as a break from the rest of my busy academic schedule. College provides so many more options for classes than high school ever will. Don’t be scared to take a random class every now and then! You never know what may come of it. You may learn an unknown talent, or even decide to add or switch majors because of it. I’ve heard countless stories from people who changed their majors and found their career paths because they took a chance on a random class.

College is only for a short time in our lives. Yes, it helps prepare us for our career, but it’s a chance to explore more things about the world around us and what it has to offer. Don’t be afraid to take a risk. Whether you are looking at study abroad, taking classes online, or even just finishing Gen Eds, think about pushing yourself to explore more of what your school has to offer. Who knows what will happen?

Katherine Jordan is a student at the College of Charleston. Her interests include music, writing, history, and more. She has grown up in several different places and can tell a lot of random facts from basic health to Disney to world history.